STOL Ultralight?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

DarylP

Hey guys,
I know that there is a lot to designing a STOL aircraft, especially when it comes to a wing design with slats. I also know that having an ultralight that is true STOL ability is probably something that would be ridicules to even consider. That being said, are there many ultralights that have true short field capabilities, although still not comparable to a true STOL aircraft,or bush plane.
So in flying the ultralight aircraft, would it be prudent to even design one with slats? I mean is the weight so little that slats would not improve the short field capabilities?

DarylP

M61A!

Have you ever seen a single seat "birdman" (I think) Chinook take off? A friend of mine had one, the tail would come up in about 1 1/2 lengths of the aircraft, and be off the ground in about 60 feet, all with the incredible power of a 277 rotax. Mind you it's not a fast machine, it looks almost stationary while it just goes up.
To make the best use of slats more power is required, as slats really only allow you to operate at very high AoA, lots of lift ,lots of drag, needs lots of power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdman_Chinook

Last edited:

DarylP

Have you ever seen a single seat "birdman" (I think) Chinook take off? A friend of mine had one, the tail would come up in about 1 1/2 lengths of the aircraft, and be off the ground in about 60 feet, all with the incredible power of a 277 rotax. Mind you it's not a fast machine, it looks almost stationary while it just goes up.
To make the best use of slats more power is required, as slats really only allow you to operate at very high AoA, lots of lift ,lots of drag, needs lots of power.

Birdman Chinook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ahhh...that makes sense. Thanks.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Define "STOL". Many, if not most, ultralights have takeoff runs less than many true STOL aircraft. The climb rate may not (or may) be that much, but they fly at such low speed that the climb angle can be truly spectacular.

I can fly my PPG out of fields that Super Cubs and Maules can only dream about... but of course I can't carry anything.

-Dana

"The world that we have made as a result of the level of thinking we have done this far creates problems we cannot solve at the same level of thinking at which we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Latest posts

Group Builder