STOL CH 801

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

scottac

I am currently still in the research phase of building a homebuilt aircraft. The Zenith CH801 has really caught my attention. It has a lot of the attributes I am looking for in a bird.

My one question is this. Storage. I realize that most people probably hangar their planes but I don't want that to be a restriction for myself. I would love to be able to trailer my bird for ease of transportation and storage. Now I know other Zenith aircraft have a folding wing option. However the CH 801 does not.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to remove the wings for trailer storage? I am sure it can be done. And has anyone designed a folding wing option for this aircraft?

Just some curiosities of mine and might help eliminate this as an option and start looking elsewhere...

Jman

Site Developer
From what I gather, removing the wings is not something to be done on a daily basis because it's a considerable effort to accomplish. Nothing you would care to do except on special occasions when it's needed. I could have sworn there was an 801 out there that someone had modified to use folding wings but I can't find it anywhere. It might have been a 701 I was confusing for an 801.

If I dig something up, I'll post it here.

scottac

From what I gather, removing the wings is not something to be done on a daily basis because it's a considerable effort to accomplish. Nothing you would care to do except on special occasions when it's needed. I could have sworn there was an 801 out there that someone had modified to use folding wings but I can't find it anywhere. It might have been a 701 I was confusing for an 801.

If I dig something up, I'll post it here.
Thanks Jman. I am very new to this forum and I am learning a lot. I quess I will start looking into other 4 place home builts with good STOL characteristics that do have a folding wing option. But I haven't been able to dig anything up just yet. Lots of learning to do still but this forum is an enormous help.

Pops

Log Member
Folding wing 4 seater. Can't think of one. The Bearhawk is a true 4 seat and full fuel tanks and baggage STOL bush type airplane but no folding wings.

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Folding wing 4 seater. Can't think of one. The Bearhawk is a true 4 seat and full fuel tanks and baggage STOL bush type airplane but no folding wings.
And given most of them have 50+ gallons of gas in the wings, folding would be a heck of a chore, I'd imagine. That Fairchild FC-2 at the EAA museum has folding wings, but it's a big plane. Not sure that's a guy you could trailer, though. I'd have to research where the fuel is stored in that one.

spaschke

folding wing 4 seaters:
BD-4 built either 2+2 (A & B model) or 4 place (C model)
Sportsman, really a 2+2
Dyke Delta, an odd bird.

not many of the BD-4 nor Glasair Sportsman were built with folding wings, but it is an option.

Pops

Log Member
folding wing 4 seaters:
BD-4 built either 2+2 (A & B model) or 4 place (C model)
Sportsman, really a 2+2
Dyke Delta, an odd bird.

not many of the BD-4 nor Glasair Sportsman were built with folding wings, but it is an option.
Since he was looking at the Zenith 801, I took it as he was looking at more of a STOL aircraft, Is that correct Scottac ? If so, that leaves not much of a choice. if its between a Zenith 801 or Bearhawk, I'll take the Bearhawk and not look back. If you build the Bearhawk light with a Lyc 360, it has the same useful load as a C-206 or a Cherokee-6. I made my Bearhawk fuselage with folding seats that made a bed for 2 people.

Pops

Log Member
And given most of them have 50+ gallons of gas in the wings, folding would be a heck of a chore, I'd imagine. That Fairchild FC-2 at the EAA museum has folding wings, but it's a big plane. Not sure that's a guy you could trailer, though. I'd have to research where the fuel is stored in that one.

BTW-- You are doing beautiful work on the oversize Bearhawk that you are building. Glad you have a little extra help, its a big project.

BJC

HBA Supporter
folding wing 4 seaters:
Not many Sportsman fold the wings regularly, but they all have the capability, and the back seats are limited to 300 pounds total load.

BJC

Rockiedog2

The 701 has a folding wing option. I haven't folded one but the rep is it's not a casual affair and not practical for frequent use. That seems to be the case with a number of the ones with the fold option. And the mechanism adds tremendous complexity and weight. Altho there are successful ones out there, many folks when they really get into it, if they're realistic, come to realize it will be something of a PITA as a required operation before we can take a Sunday afternoon ride. And getting a plane the size and weight of an 801 on a trailer won't be very easy I don't think. Not to mention somebody might T-Bone it on the way to the airport.

ekimneirbo

Banned
Thanks Jman. I am very new to this forum and I am learning a lot. I quess I will start looking into other 4 place home builts with good STOL characteristics that do have a folding wing option. But I haven't been able to dig anything up just yet. Lots of learning to do still but this forum is an enormous help.
There are several /many two place homebuilt with folding wings, so it should not be all that difficult to incorporate it into many four place airplanes. It would take a little investigation and planning though. The fuel problem could be easily resolved by incorporating some quick drains in the tanks and a transport tank on your tow vehicle.
The question I would ask is "what type of flying do you plan to do" ? Do you need much cruising speed ? Do you live somewhere that STOL will be normal type of landing, or is it just something for rare occasions? Something like a Bearhawk will land pretty short with good piloting. Maybe a Bearhawk with a Patrol airfoil wing.
Of course,they don't fold so you would have to adapt that feature yourself.

ekimneirbo

Banned
I'm going to post a thread in a little bit that will be dedicated to wing attachment and folding wings. Anyone with some detail pics or info is welcome to add to it.