STOL Baby Ace

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Jun 5, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2019 #21

trifoils

trifoils

trifoils

You're right about the forward slip. Caught this one in the act, but it was straightened out by the time I got the pic

Attached Files:

2. Jun 25, 2019 #22

Lcigars

Lcigars

Lcigars

Check this up!!

3. Jun 25, 2019 #23

Pops

Pops

Pops

Didn't know that you had to pulse the elevators up and down all the time when flying. Old RC GG ?

Victor Bravo and Guyo like this.
  4. Jun 29, 2019 #24

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I flew one about 50 years ago but don't remember much about it except it was an airplane and that was good enough at the time. I got the plans here and it's way overbuilt...it's got a Cub gear for instance. Lotsa places to reduce weight. Lots. Compare the Double Eagle plans with the Baby Ace. And if you wanta go slower do what VB said and try a set of Stolspeed VGs on it. I wouldn't get more complicated than that. It'll already go so slow that we're in the area of diminishing returns.
    If I was doing it I would concentrate on max power w/o adding weight, light as possible and vgs and see what I got.

Pops likes this.
  5. Jun 29, 2019 #25

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

TFF said

>>>You can do the same thing in a Cessna 150. That type of flying is frowned upon in normal circles. I bet a 150 flown like that would not roll 400-500.<<<

That's right except 400-500 is long.
    If you fly 45 mph final( that's about 1.1 VSO) full flaps and land it with the brakes locked on pavement it'll skid about maybe 100 feet if that. Not recommended and yeh frowned on by the GA public. Shoulder harness is good.

BJC likes this.
  6. Jun 29, 2019 #26

Pops

Pops

Pops

Low inertia ( light weight) really helps in the landing rollouts. When the wing goes to a high AOA its like a large drag chute. On the SSSC the stall speed is about 28 mph in ground effect and 30 out of ground effect. Put the stick in your gut as soon as it quits flying and get the tail down for all of the high drag of the wing and its stopped in a very short distance. I don't get on the brakes hard until the last of the rollout with the wing drag is less. Never let the tail get above level with use of the brakes.