Stitch and glue (or tack and tape) airplanes?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That’s exactly the sort of thing I had in mind!
A first approximation of a conventional design single seat fuselage, no fairing or filleting. 15 feet from firewall to beginning of tailcone. Full canopy optional, especially on an ultralight version. Cut out of 4 pieces of 4'x8'x1/16' okume marine plywood. Just the plywood comes to about 21 pounds. Add bulkheads, corner tape and surface fiberglass. Could run carbon pultrusions in the corner joints for strength. Don't have a good estimate of that weight.

CAD programs (I use fusion360) make this easier than hand drawn and calculated by far. The learning curve is steep and not for everyone, but powerful if you do learn it. You have to be somewhat like those nut jobs who build their own airplanes as far as interest and dedication to learning CAD goes.

Vernon
double nut job (Airplanes and CAD!)View attachment 109406

WonderousMountain

Thought it over, and for me, there would have to be a planer involved.
You can glass the inside & use a Danish oil on the external straking.
Steambending is on my to do list. You can just boil lengths as well.

Happy little Sky-acks,
CK LuPii

g0505-8fa27f383242ad46168a10cfece7a8ed.jpg

rtfm

I'm joining this discussion VERY late, but why start a new thread when the old one is perfectly serviceable?

While I wait for epoxy to cure between jobs on the Fleabike, I spend a lot of time on the web, and I have found a plane which makes my heart skip a beat.

I have a long-cherished ambition to circumnavigate Australia in a homebuilt plane. Sure, it's been done before, but not by me. And I can't do it in the Fleabike. For one thing, it's too slow, too exposed, and too lonely - I need a flying companion.

So this little plane would be perfect, and the stitch and glue construction method would be just what the doctor ordered.

1627606439025.png
It would be a shame to put all those many many hours of research, listening and reading about canards to waste, so this is on my list of things to work on.

1627606536648.png
I figure a 100hp Aeromomentum (for example) engine would be suitable. My only real problem is working out the flat panel shapes - yes, I know Fusion 360 does it, but I might not live long enough to learn Fusion. Scratches head, sips coffee, and sighs.

One more pic to get my heart racing again...
1627609705888.png

Last edited:

pwood66889

Ahem.... From a prior of mines:
"But for a slick ship, consider the Mummert Sportplane, which also competed in that series of races. It was the third airplane built by Mr. Harvey Mummert.
According to Jack McRae in the EAA Experimenter from 1989, the Driggs Johnson DJ-1 won the first event when Mummert dropped out due to engine troubles. The Mummert "won" the second race simply by finishing! It had broken a valve spring on the Harley-Davidson motor, and Mr. Mummert was able to cage one from a passing motorcyclist! As noted above, the Bathtub finished the 140-mile third event; Mummert finished only 20 miles into the 140-mile race, again with engine trouble.
I'm saying with the engines now-a-days, that Sportplane would be a contender in the digital wood stick-it-together category. If I could figure out this "New Improved" HBA system worked, I'd picture what I mean. "
<From
Dormoy Bathtub photo gallery>

Google Search finds "1924 Mummert Sportplane by Jack McRae." I have downloaded that piece and will see if it is the one I have in mind - the low-winged monoplane of plywood construction.

Tiger Tim

My only real problem is working out the flat panel shapes - yes, I know Fusion 360 does it, but I might not live long enough to learn Fusion. Scratches head, sips coffee, and sighs.
I know there are other stitch-and-glue boat designers but I like Flo-Mo because he isn’t selling anything so he’s pretty open about design. It also boggles my mind how he can get all of the panels cut from a minimum number of sheets with nearly zero waste. I think somewhere on his website he mentions which (cheap and boat-specific) software can be used to develop the shapes required.

Julie Wallace

rtfm - you messaged my dad Hugh Lorimer about his Iolaire canard - he is unable to reply for now. Please let me know the information you need and I will try to help.

pwood66889

"Mummert Sportplane write up and pics are available ..."
Blyme, Matthew! You lit the fire under me now. I had not seen any of those photos. Thank you, thank you!!
Coffee's on me when we get together. Keep looking for an airshow in DeFuniack Springs.
Percy in NW FL, USA