Stewart S-51 plans where?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

sketus

Does anybody know where i could buy the plans for Stewart s-51 mustang!

I contacted all the people from the Stewart page but got no answer!

wally

Hi,
I doubt that plans are or were ever available. I think it was a kit plane, and as such it had some fancy extrusions or stretch-formed skins so even if the plans were available, you could not build it from just the plans.
Wally

Mac790

Wally,

Plans were available for short period.

Some time ago Jim sold plans for the S51. You should also be aware that the kit airframes are dimensionally somewhat different from what was specified in the early plans. So, for example, a plans built fuselage cannot simply be bolted to a kitbuilt wing.

However there are a number of plans builts S51s in various stages of construction, and at least one has flown. In fact, much of the production tooling for the kit came from a plans builder. If you are a plans builder in need of help, I suggest that you talk to Mike Archer. Mike produces parts for the Thorpe 18. He has a plans built S51 underway, and reportedly has as complete a set of drawings as exists. You can contact him at S18Thorp@lightspeed.net, or by telephone or FAX at (559) 539-2755. Alternately, you can try MarK Smith, kandmsmith@comcast.net, who also has a fairly complete set of plans.
S51 Plans

Seb

sketus

''Mac790'' yes i saw that page and i connected the emails, bat got no answer!

I'm from Europa an HPA HPA - High Performance Aircraft, is very near, i could buy some fancy parts from them!

But i would still need the plans!
If somebody has tham an si willing to sell a copy he can conntact me at ssketus@gmail.com!

If somebody knows where to get them, we would be happy!??

F82man

Sketus, I recently heard of a man building landing gear for the S-51s. I believe he has a set of what you might need, but I do not know how complete his info is, or if he would be willing to part with it. I will try to see him this weekend, and find out what I can. Don

sketus

Hay Don! This is good news.
If you find something useful please share the info with us!
Jure

flywulf

To me this represents the state of the replica fighters movement so to speak. The Stewart 51 is a magnificent example of what can be achieved if you have the engineering know how. But unfortunately it has not been made available to the people who would like to complete a project like this. A plans set and a source of parts for the components that are beyond the ability of the home builder, like I have seen done with the war replicas. That would be a way forward for someone like myself who simply does not have the expertise to design a plans set for a project this complicated.

I was very excited to see the FW190 replica that was designed and built in Australia. But after learning that the owner had no intention to sell copies of the plans killed that. I can't say that I blame him considering the liability issue here in the states.

there are only two sources of plans that I know of. Marcel Jurca and the WAR replicas. Neither of which appeals to me because of sizing and the build materials used.

David Jones built a beautiful FW190 replica in aluminum and again no plans for sale.

It's really kind of sad when you think about it.

any thoughts?

Ed

BerndGross

Hey.. i now... ol thread.
You have the same problems like me. I contact High Performance Aircraft International and they send me a list with the available parts and the prices. What i can see there are most of the parts.
But they can´t offer me the whole kit without Mr. Raymond Larners agreement. So i contact Mr. Raymond Larner. I hope he will help me and answer. (I got his e-mail adress from HPAI.

So in reality it would be possible to get a kit and the plans fore the missing parts.
The other replicas are to slow, wrong materials ore too expensive (thunder-mustang)

(sry my bad english im from Italy)

Tom Kay

This really is unfortunate, that the Stewart plans are not available. I would at least like to see what metals and thicknesses they have used for various parts, like wing skins and ribs, fuselage frames and skins, but I cannot find most of that info.

The Stewart is the very best Mustang replica, in my opinion. The Thunder is also beautiful, possibly even more to scale, but I like the all-metal of the Stewart. However, in my opinion, neither are what you'd call "beginner" homebuilts. They are both hot-rods with plenty of danger built-in.

I assume that all who like the Stewart are familiar with this site, but I'll add the link just in case. The link "Construction Manuals" has some good PDF's that contain a lot of detail, but they certainly are not plans. There is a picture of the wings, with skin thicknesses, but I am not even sure what alloy is used. However, here it is: Unofficial Stewart 51 Builders Page

If anyone ever gets this info, please let us all know.

Tom.

flywulf

I do recall that Kitplanes magazine did a lengthy story on the S-51. I recall that they stated the thickness of the fuselage and wing skins and ribs. I believe you can obtain a copy from their site. No affiliation by the way. It is an odd way to source technical data but, it is there.

I had a copy of the magazine and a co worker stole it from me! :depressed

cheers,

Ed

Tom Kay

Hi Ed;

Thanks for the idea. I just called Kitplanes, and they are searching to see if they have any S-51 articles in their archives. A fire wrecked all the pre-2007 issues, but maybe we'll get lucky on this.

Chees, Tom.

Raptor

Tom, I went to my storage, and dug out the Sept. 1995 Kitplanes, (S-51 on the cover)
I've scanned 10 pages as jpg's, (at 10.8MB)
If you'd like, PM me your e-mail, and I'll send them to you.

Paul

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Hi Ed;

Thanks for the idea. I just called Kitplanes, and they are searching to see if they have any S-51 articles in their archives. A fire wrecked all the pre-2007 issues, but maybe we'll get lucky on this.
And they don't still have the digital layout files? That seems absurd. The magazine is layed out on a computer. Unless they're throwing away the layouts, which would be completely unprofessional, they've still got them somewhere and could create a PDF for you. Might charge you for the labor, but don't let them tell you the option isn't there.

Raptor

I got rid of a bunch of magazines expecting them to end up in digital form....still waiting (especially Air Progress).
Luckily I've saved all the Kitplanes I've bought, now organizing them, is another thing.

Tom & Rico, e-mail's sent, let me know if there are any problems.

Paul

Tom Kay

This is what I call excellent news. I hope these guys make a go of it. Not that their success would bring me closer to S-51 ownership, but still, this a magnificent looking Mustang replica, and it should find a way to exist in the homebuilt world.

Tom.

TXFlyGuy

Why build one...a Stewart S-51 recently sold on Trade-A-Plane for $65,000. And this one had a brand new big block 409 engine! But someone on another forum quickly pointed out that while that is a cheap price for a Mustang, it is a very expensive price for a coffin.

Tom Kay

Why build one?

I can think of a few reasons. I've never yet built an aircraft, and unless I trip on that spare bag of money, I probably never will. But I have been asked several times, "Why build an airplane? Why not just buy one?"

The whole point of building a plane, or a house, or a kit car, is that's it's the kind of labour that most will enjoy once they make the decision to go. It's the process. And this is a massive part of the whole equation which cannot be overstated.

Second, when you buy an aircraft, in whatever state of completion, you are largely trusting somebody else to have done the work as well as YOU would want it done. Depending on your skill level, it might be better than anything else that YOU could build, but maybe not.

Third, the aircraft you want may not be available. If you want a Cessna 150, no problem. If you want a Stewart-51, this will be a problem, other than rare offerings that pop up now and then.

Tom.

Group Builder