Stewart Headwind Request For Specific Info

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Does one of you guys or gals here know what the cockpit dimensions are for the Headwind, and the useful load?

A friend of mine wants to buy the yellow one we had discussed here (the one that had been listed on Craigslist, then eBay at a higher price).

My friend is an old Huey gunship driver who wants something fun and inexpensive. But he is... how can I say this... at very low risk for being diagnosed with anorexia. He's also over six feet.

I told him that our HBA group represents without question the world's foremost database of knowledge regarding homebuilts, and that there would certainly be someone within arm's reach who knew the cockpit dimensions, useful load, etc.

So what can anyone tell me about how big of a guy you can be, and whether it's easy or difficult to get in an out of, etc.

EDIT: I found the cabin width and useful load answers on Stewart's website. Still interested in any comments about bigger pilots climbingi n and out.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Perhaps you should ping Don Stewart about this since he stops by our group occasionally as "Headwind Don"? Otherwise, it's a little plane but the right side door should make entry/exit easier than some once your friend figures out the best method for his body in that plane.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Not sure where that thing is located here in the Phoenix area but if its near Glendale or Tempe I could probably assist in getting dimensions. I keep looking at that one too, but I will be in the market for a 2-seater in a few months.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Apparently it's listed again on eBay at a fairly low price. I forwarded the useful load figures to my old friend, and after seeing that the light weight original prototype had about a 300 pound useful (and this one with the Franklin engine was probably heavier)... he decided that it was likely not for him.

If I had space in my hangar I'd go get it, it's a lot of fun per dollar at the "buy it now" price.

Tiger Tim

I have Headwind plans around here and can probably pass along an edited copy of the fuselage drawings with enough information to build a test cockpit from PVC or broomsticks or whatever if you like.

Headwind Don

Does one of you guys or gals here know what the cockpit dimensions are for the Headwind, and the useful load?

A friend of mine wants to buy the yellow one we had discussed here (the one that had been listed on Craigslist, then eBay at a higher price).

My friend is an old Huey gunship driver who wants something fun and inexpensive. But he is... how can I say this... at very low risk for being diagnosed with anorexia. He's also over six feet.

I told him that our HBA group represents without question the world's foremost database of knowledge regarding homebuilts, and that there would certainly be someone within arm's reach who knew the cockpit dimensions, useful load, etc.

So what can anyone tell me about how big of a guy you can be, and whether it's easy or difficult to get in an out of, etc.

EDIT: I found the cabin width and useful load answers on Stewart's website. Still interested in any comments about bigger pilots climbingi n and out.

The inside cockpit width is 23 1/4"

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Welcome Don! Will you ever do a real wide 2 seat side by side Headwind?

plncraze

HBA Supporter
If those two a place Headwind plans are as good as your reduction drive plans they must be great.

Marc W

Don, how much headroom is there in the Headwind for us lankier folks? Can you give us a measurement from seat bottom to whatever structure there is above the pilot's head?

Headwind Don

The headroom from the front of the seat is 38 inches. From the rear of the seat it's 40. The distance to the rudder pedals from thr rear of the seat is 43 5/8". My friend, Tom Raybourn, was 6'4" and he said he was comfortable in the airplane

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I do have a two place Headwind in my files but they need some refinement and I've never gotten around to doing them. It's a larger airplane with about a 32' span as I remember. I haven't looked at it for a long time. Thanks for the nice complement
I know lots of folks would love to tackle a two place Headwind project, myself included :). I have plans for both the plane and the Maximizer - just love flying with others :)

Headwind Don

The reason I never offered plans for the two place was because I hadn't built one. I don't offer prints for an airplane unless I build one and from that, finalize the airplane. I'm 89 now and the urge to build another airplane just isn't there.