Steve Hinton Jr/Voodoo record attempt

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Will Aldridge

Log Member
Tomorrow (Aug 27) Steve Hinton Jr will be attempting to break the world speed record held by Lyle Shelton.

The attempt will be happening somewhere in Idaho.

Here's a links to the Voodoo facebook page that had links to other related info:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/313222938811896?tsid=0.35423318822151706&source=result

Can't remember where i read it but supposedly Voodoo has completely reprofiled wings for this record attempt.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
Steve and Voodoo got airborne yesterday but for less than 10 minutes. The comment i read was that Voodoo "sneezed" which I'm guessing means it backfired and forced a precautionary landing. I think it must have damaged the induction intake but they were buttoning up the cowling this morning so they must think they got it fixed. Here's hoping.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
I guess either the comment i read was incorrect or I skimmed it too fast but the sneeze required removing the entire left bank and flying it out to get repaired. The repairs were completed yesterday and a test flight was conducted today. Not sure of the result but if it went well and if conditions are favorable tomorrow maybe they'll make the attempt.

rv6ejguy

I have it on reasonable authority that this aircraft has just barely almost kissed 600 mph through the traps on one of the downwind runs.
I doubt that unless the winds were very strong. They had to go 533mph average to beat the old record. Let's say 595, 510, 580 and 510. average = 548.75.

They've made major revisions to the wing profile and thickness to reduce the trim drag, have a Strega like rad setup and a lower CR to to take more boost for more power.

Strange timing for this just before Reno unless they won't be racing. Hope they try again afterwards. So much work to fall short by a few mph.

Does anyone know the DA of where the record was set?

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
From another site. Budd Davisson reports the fastest run was 554.69 mph and the average was 531.53 mph.

Group Builder