Steps to scratch build a VW

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Aug 13, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 18, 2019 #141

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I guess probably not the best Idea I've had. I just prefer hands on.

Well, let me think this through a little bit more. I just know that reliability is key for the final product and I'm not looking to break any speed records. I'll keep reading.

2. Aug 18, 2019 #142

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Find an air-cooled car to donate the core and flip once you've finished.

Then at least it's not just bench smarts but actual practical experience. If you don't make it work and use it a bit how will you know it doesn't fail after 20 hours?

There was a plumber around here with an old Baja bug full exoskeleton rollcage and a pipe rack on the roof. I smiled every time I saw that car go by

3. Aug 18, 2019 #143

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

That would be cool, and Little Scrapper has got the skills and tools needed to weld up a fun little vehicle. I don't think he'll quickly find a cheap, roadable donor car easily, though--Wisconsin is snow country, and the salt is tough on VW frames. Those that have a nice bug in those places take 'em out when the weather is nice, and put them up on blocks for the winter.

4. Aug 18, 2019 #144

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

VWs are collectors items now. Especially the 2.0 liter Bus.

5. Aug 18, 2019 #145

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I think it was just a bad idea on my part, it happens.

It's best if I avoid another project because we all know my time is limited. So I'll stick to the airplane and avoid the buggy as cool as it sounds.

Anyhow, I'm reading my VW books and reading threads here. I feel comfortable scratch building a VW engine. It's been quite a few years since I did a full rebuild on a car engine but I'm confident I can do it and do it well especially if you guys keep me on the right path.

My gut feeling tells me not to bore and not to stroke but maybe that's me being cautious. I like simple, always have. Although I'm a virgin VW'r , from what I read heating and cracks are pretty common. I'd really like to avoid that.

I'm still on the fence about which side of the motor I want the prop on. No offense to Wittman, you all know I'm a die hard fan, but the Sonerai guys had this pretty figured out. They seem to have great luck with pulley side props.

dmar836 likes this.
  6. Aug 19, 2019 #146

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I would do that.

blane.c and Pops like this.
  7. Aug 19, 2019 #147

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Naah, this is a job for someone with a lot of hands-on VW experience and a good attitude, someone with no other pressing projects. . . who lives in West Virginia. ;)

delta likes this.
  8. Aug 19, 2019 #148

Pops

Pops

Pops

Sorry, as you know my communication and writing skills are very low. I have always had to work on the problem. Had to go to speech therapy before starting school and same for my youngest son and same for his oldest son. And you are a word smith, case closed King, its settled. :)

Trivia -- What TV show was this statement made, "Case Closed King" ?

9. Aug 19, 2019 #149

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mike, Spend some time reading thesamba.com. Many build threads with tips and tricks for assembly of motors. As with any forum, varying opinions, but lots of good info.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  10. Aug 19, 2019 #150

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

The Samba has some great info BUT, BUT, BUT the mentality is geared cars and buses. If you get caught up on HP improvements, which everyone does there, you will build an over stressed turd IMO. Again, a good resource IF you can keep from drinking the Koolaid and keep your hand close to your chest. Remember asking aero questions there can get you blacklisted by vendors. Most of them are active on the forum and are not interested in supplying AC parts even if it loses a sale. When you publicize your intentions it’s a risk. Ask Jeff. He told me of a big company or two that won’t sell to him. The same that questioned what car I was using and what I was building before they would process my order(s).
    There are a few old threads there about aero conversions but elsewhere you will eventually have to tell your plans as you will be lead astray until then by some good guys who know a lot more than many of us about VW power.
    Start asking about larger displacement with a really mild cam and throw in the desire to use single port heads, small valves, and long intake runners. Trust me, you’ll get blasted unless you say AC then the contributions will stop - they just don’t know. Going to dual carbs and keeping the intakes short is a staple formula to open up early potential on a mild build. But our intake will always be a main limitation. But there ya go, slippery slope. What kinda of HP numbers are we trying to achieve? I don’t think I’ve every read how to detune a bigger motor for less HP there. The efficiency and good gas mileage builds are closest to what you will need IMO.
    Find out what you need, look for dyno results and maybe some flow numbers then...
    JMO

Pops and Little Scrapper like this.
  11. Aug 19, 2019 #151

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Again I'm not knowledgeable enough bon anything Volkswagen but everything I've read so far on the V-Witt or the Volkswagen has made me believe I just don't need much horsepower.

12. Aug 19, 2019 #152

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

How much did Wittman weigh?

13. Aug 19, 2019 #153

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

In my 20's I was skinny as a fence post, in fact Steve reminds me of myself in my 20's. People would constantly make remarks to me about how I must never eat, etc. I hated it.

Anyhow, I weighed 176 pounds in my 20's and I'm 6' tall. I would estimate Wittman weighed 165 to 170. I highly doubt he broke the 180 threshold based on my weight history.

My opinion at least

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  14. Aug 19, 2019 #154

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Sargent Preston of the Yukon and his Wonder Dog, King? I remember watching....Uh-- the reruns!

Pops and dmar836 like this.
  15. Aug 19, 2019 #155

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Thats why I'm an airboat pilot.....:rolleyes:

Pops and dmar836 like this.
  16. Aug 19, 2019 #156

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

Steve had Bill Brennand race his planes later in his career as Bill weighed only 150lbs. Guess they didn’t handicap if the plane made weight.

17. Aug 19, 2019 #157

Pops

Pops

Pops

Give that man a Kupie Doll. I also remember the reruns of the series on TV a couple years ago. :)

Mark Schoening likes this.
  18. Aug 19, 2019 #158

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

I don't know, but I don't think ready-made items like the Force One hub were available when Wittman was laying out the V-Witt. So, the (stock) flywheel end pulley was the stronger of the two (stock) options available, and he went with it to drive the prop. I'm not familiar with his engine, but I'm assuming that, to accomodate the sleek cowl profile he wanted he chopped off at least the top of the transmission mounting flange at the back of the engine, then designed his prop extension.

Mounting the prop on the pulley end and using a Force One bearing and hub gets the prop a bit farther from the case--maybe you could still be faithful to the V-Witt cowl lines without any prop extension at all if you used a big spinner?

[​IMG]

I'm afraid I don't know that one. It's not as famous as Steve McGarrett's "Book 'em Dano, murder 1."

Pops likes this.
  19. Aug 19, 2019 #159

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

Nope. The trans flange is all there. I'd certainly be tempted to try with the Force One if I didn't already have the parts but the CG will be a consideration. The engine would be quite a bit further forward than planned.
    Dave

20. Aug 19, 2019 #160

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Thanks. That must be quite a prop extension--is there a picture or dimensioned drawing of it out there somewhere?
    Move the seat back a little and start loading up on burgers and milkshakes!

dmar836 likes this.