Steps to scratch build a VW

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I just finished reading this whole thread. Good read!

I do have two questions though....

Pops....what is an SSSC? I assume one you designed and built yourself?

And Little Scrapper....what is/was you conclusion about engine size, and are you still doing the V-Witt?
I switched to a Baby Ace and that airplane is going well. Look in the projects section under “Pomodoro”.

After this thread I concluded that I’m very fond of the VW and would love to fly behind one eventually and I do plan on finishing the V-Witt.

I think this thread is my favorite thread on HBA because I went out and did street work by visiting shops and talking to knowledgeable people and separating fact from fiction. I put a lot of real work in to this thread instead of being a keyboard warrior.

When I started this thread a small part of me almost expected the VW to fail. Perhaps internal fear on my part? Personality glitch on my part!? I’m pretty hard wired to like Lycoming or Continental which seems like a natural bias.

But the opposite happened. The more I researched the more I ended up learning about VW and the more I learned the more I liked it. I think it’s a great choice for the right sized pilot in the right sized airplane and I think of a person can be honest with himself about his wants and desires it becomes clear that the engine fits certain people in a certain mission. It’s kinda like stretching a glide, pretty dam hard, haha and a VW won’t “stretch” well either. Probably a bad analogy but you get the point.

A nice VW built to last by keeping performance goals limited can give a owner very long service. My opinion only.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The SSSC is built like a Fisher Super Koala, but to the dimensions of the Fisher Koala 202 for the Cub look. Not one part is the same as either airplane. Landing gear, engine mount all hardware, control system, etc,etc, is my design. Its stressed higher than the Super Koala. The prototype Super Koala is in a hanger next door and I bought a wrecked Koala 202 for the plans to get the general dimensions. Wish I had called it something else than what I put on the FAA paper work. The then owner of Fisher said he was thinking of doing the same thing for a kit, but sold the company shortly afterward. Then in describing the performance, I said its like a Single Seat Super Cub , so the name SSSC stuck.
Powered by a 1835 cc, 60 HP, VW with a Culver 60"x 26" pitch prop. Cruise at 80 mph at 2600/2700 rpm with a 1200+ ROC. 2--- 8 gal wing tanks for a total of 16 gal @ 3 gph @ cruise.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffwalin

The SSSC is built like a Fisher Super Koala, but to the dimensions of the Fisher Koala 202 for the Cub look. Not one part is the same as either airplane. Landing gear, engine mount all hardware, control system, etc,etc, is my design. Its stressed higher than the Super Koala. The prototype Super Koala is in a hanger next door and I bought a wrecked Koala 202 for the plans to get the general dimensions. Wish I had called it something else than what I put on the FAA paper work. The then owner of Fisher said he was thinking of doing the same thing for a kit, but sold the company shortly afterward. Then in describing the performance, I said its like a Single Seat Super Cub , so the name SSSC stuck.