Steps to rebuild an old Chinook

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Gunnrdan

Hello I'm a new pilot and have just purchased a complete but in need of restoration birdman Chinook wt2. The engine is running but at this point I don't know where to start and not sure what steps I should take to restore it.

ToddK

A lot of the WTIIs got some upgrades along the way.
Does it still have warping wing, or does it have ailerons?
If it had the warping wing you will probably need new sails. If it has ailerons then it will be fabric covered. You will need to check the fabric.

What engine does it have?

You will most likely want to replace the fuel lines, impulse line, and fuel pump.
Probably looking at at least a reseal on the engine case and new oil for the gear box.

You will probably need to replace the suspension bungee wraps.

I rebuilt a plus 2 a few years back. There are 2 good FB chinook groups, and a 2 stroke aero engine group. You might check them out.

Post some pics.

Gunnrdan

I have two sets of wings for it one has the original sails and the other one has been fabriced I plan on using the fabric wings I have gotten the engine running after a carb clean and the engine is a 503. There is some damage to the wings but I'm pretty sure it is repairable but there is also some weather damage to the tail which may require new fabric.
IMG_20220514_112952521_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220514_113047822_HDR.jpg IMG_20220514_113032341.jpg IMG_20220514_113022117.jpg IMG_20220514_113000804_HDR.jpg

ToddK

Very good. You can recover the tail with standard fabric. Airplane Manufactory, and ASAP both used 3m eco bond, and Dacron, and they have covering instructions, or you can go with your favorite system. The aileron wing is a much better wing, that’s good news.

I would highly recommend sending the 503 off to your nearest Rotax builder, and get a reseal. The case and crank seals eventually leak causing it to suck air (a lean condition). It’s not very expensive, and will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Tap along the bottom of the wing. You are feeling for debris. It could be insect, or rat nests. Rats are the worst because their urine is corrosive.

Clear out anything you can find. You might have to take the wing of and Carefully shake it out. You can inspect the inside with a $60 Amazon scope that connects to a laptop or a phone.

Clean it up.

Get a steno pad and your most critical friend and go over it front to back. Anything hard ware or bits that looks compromised change it out. If It has the old heager breaks change out the fluid, and the break piston rings, possibly the break hoses.

My suggestion is do the engine, fuel system, inspection (punch list) tail, fabric repair and get it in flying shape. Not pretty, flying shape. Fly it for 50-100 hrs and then think about any mods you feel it needs. These are great and very forgiving airplanes, with somewhat unique handling characteristics compared to a 172 or Cherokee, that take some getting used to.

don january

To cover and insure the aircraft is safe I see you stripping it down to the bones and checking every gusset and bolt and I believe the wing is covered in two passes (bottom then top). Should be a great fun project.

Gunnrdan

One thing I have noticed when installing the wing is that the control linkage for these wings are different than what is on the fuselage so that has to be redone. If I am replace the control cables for the wings should I also replace the rest.

Bill-Higdon

Very good. You can recover the tail with standard fabric. Airplane Manufactory, and ASAP both used 3m eco bond, and Dacron, and they have covering instructions, or you can go with your favorite system. The aileron wing is a much better wing, that’s good news.

I would highly recommend sending the 503 off to your nearest Rotax builder, and get a reseal. The case and crank seals eventually leak causing it to suck air (a lean condition). It’s not very expensive, and will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Tap along the bottom of the wing. You are feeling for debris. It could be insect, or rat nests. Rats are the worst because their urine is corrosive.

Clear out anything you can find. You might have to take the wing of and Carefully shake it out. You can inspect the inside with a $60 Amazon scope that connects to a laptop or a phone.

Clean it up.

Get a steno pad and your most critical friend and go over it front to back. Anything hard ware or bits that looks compromised change it out. If It has the old heager breaks change out the fluid, and the break piston rings, possibly the break hoses.

My suggestion is do the engine, fuel system, inspection (punch list) tail, fabric repair and get it in flying shape. Not pretty, flying shape. Fly it for 50-100 hrs and then think about any mods you feel it needs. These are great and very forgiving airplanes, with somewhat unique handling characteristics compared to a 172 or Cherokee, that take some getting used to.
2+ on the low cost endocopes

ToddK

You have real gem there. I believe that the Chinook 2s can take plus 2 and DR parts, and can even being converted. I am pretty sure it has the same body tube as the plus 2. I don't know all that much about the 2s wing, other then it is longer then then the plus 2 wing and is stressed for +6/-3 Gs. Very stout.

Not a better view in aviation.

Attachments

• 0602201056_PC.jpg
    0602201056_PC.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7047s.jpg
    IMG_7047s.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 11