• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Steel parts finishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. Question.

I’m undecided on what finishing system to use for the Baby Ace but I do need to prime and paint some steel parts coming up fairly soon. I like Stewarts and Airtech system but that could also change.

I want gloss black as my fuselage color.

Given that I’m still undecided on the ultimate system I’m going to use I should be able to use automotive 2 part epoxy type paint products available from my local automotive paint distributor right? I have PPG Omni products on a shelf right now from my last motorcycle project in gloss black and I’d like to be able to use it. It’s acrylic enamel if I recall but it’s a catalyzed 2 part finish.

From what I gather none of the systems have any compatibility issues with automotive paint on steel.

If I’m wrong I’d like someone to correct my assumption and I can just pick a system and stick to it and order the epoxy they supply. It just seems unnecessary because I have $300 worth of product on hand.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back