Steel parts finishing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

When one builds a plane, one has a vision on how it’s supposed to be. Every one of the paints can make a winner. Dope has its own look, Polytone, and everything else. Looking for better is really not the right thought; one is not better than another. Looking for a match is the goal. In the end, your look is the goal.

Pops

Supporting Member
Pops,

What is the best epoxy primer for my composite airplane? I am not sure what to buy. I am getting close to needing it though. I am in the process of filling and feathering the fuselage.

Thanks for your help.

-Yellowhammer
I really don't know what is the best. I have made fiber glass composite wheel pants, cowls, fuel tanks, wing and tail gap fairing, sliding sun roof for my V-8 VW Bug, etc. I always just used several coats of auto sandable primer and block sand between each coat. I hate sanding, so my composite finish is not the best.
As soon as I finish the SSSC I am going to get back on the VW sand buggy. Has aluminum sides and hood but going to build a fiberglass nose cone with a 12 Volt winch on the front. It's going to be sort of like the sand buggy that the special forces used in the middle east sand box.

Attachments

• 1663557506516.png
    1663557506516.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

ToddK

Supporting Member
Having painted many frames, with most of the listed above products, with great results, I would be one of the first to say, most GOOD products, applied correctly work well. This "applied correctly" part is key. But most of you know that.

But, and there always seems to be a "but" I can't get out of my head the system I saw at OSH this year,

HIPEC Aircraft Coatings | High Performance Aircraft Coatings & Fabric Aircraft Coverings

But simply can't find one single person that has used it. When I asked why that would be? I was told that it simply has not been promoted ever in the USA, can that be the reason? is it popular in Canada? IS it as good as it looks? can it really be as light as they say? Feed back folks?
There is a guy here in Texas who has used it on a few airplanes.

Pops

Supporting Member
DP40 is a great general primer for most surfaces. DuPont will have their equal. I would pick a brand and follow it through.
I use the DP40 primer on two Cessna 172's. I found the aluminum had to be etched very good or it doesn't stick that good. Found the Dupont brand Variprime is better.

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I really don't know what is the best. I have made fiber glass composite wheel pants, cowls, fuel tanks, wing and tail gap fairing, sliding sun roof for my V-8 VW Bug, etc. I always just used several coats of auto sandable primer and block sand between each coat. I hate sanding, so my composite finish is not the best.
As soon as I finish the SSSC I am going to get back on the VW sand buggy. Has aluminum sides and hood but going to build a fiberglass nose cone with a 12 Volt winch on the front. It's going to be sort of like the sand buggy that the special forces used in the middle east sand box.
That's going to be bad arse! You gonna mount a 40 mike mike grenade launcher too? LOL

Pops

Supporting Member
That's going to be bad arse! You gonna mount a 40 mike mike grenade launcher too? LOL
I would like to make dummy everything, but in today's world even a non-operating replica would freak people out and call the police. Neighbor has a 1942 Ford WW-2 Jeep that used to have a 50 cal behind the front seats and its all restored but afraid to make a dummy gun to mount. New idiots come out of the schools every day and dial 911 if they don't get their way.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 3

billyvray

I would like to make dummy everything, but in today's world even a non-operating replica would freak people out and call the police. Neighbor has a 1942 Ford WW-2 Jeep that used to have a 50 cal behind the front seats and its all restored but afraid to make a dummy gun to mount. New idiots come out of the schools every day and dial 911 if they don't get their way.
It does look good with the third gunner seat though!

TFF

Although the British had a fit and stopped airing it, from Americanizing a British unit, hard to beat the opening sequence. Just don’t let the Jeep roll over you like it did Christopher George.

Pops

Supporting Member
We got a 1942 Ford jeep on the farm when I was about 12 or 13 years old. ( 1952 or 53). I tried all the stunts I seen Joey Chichwood and his stunt team do in 1950 at the fairgrounds. Except driving on 2 wheels. With no roll bars I was afraid to get the one side to high coming off the ramp. Taught myself high speed turn arounds forward and reverse, etc.

Our jeep had the gun mount in the center behind the front seats.

Did Christoper George get killed ???

TFF

He didn’t get killed during the accident, but pretty messed up. He died from Hollywood excesses about ten years later.

TFF

I had a M38A1 style CJ 5, and I had a high school friend who collected army trucks. A dozen jeeps, one with D-Day provenance. They are great. If I had money to burn I would buy one of the new Mahendra Roxor and put an MB grill on it. There is a very rusty CJ3 on the property with lots of sins done to the body. Maybe someday it can live again.

Pops

Supporting Member
When my neighbor got the 42 Ford jeep, it was in bad shape. He brought the tub to my shop and I cut out and welding a lot of new panels in it. I like the looks when the canvas top is on.

I decided on Air-Tech for a full system. I’m big on mentoring when I’m not familiar with things because it’s a efficient way to learn. I reached out to my airplane friend group buddies and have a guy who has covered 8 airplanes with Air-Tech and he’s gonna be available to answer questions when I need. Really excited about this. Can’t wait to get going on the finishing of some of these parts.

I’ll update with photos as I progress. Appreciate all the help and advise here on this thread. Thanks!

proppastie

Supporting Member
Local professional aircraft fabric guy near me uses Air-Tech ...it is a Polyurethane paint finish which might be different than the Poly-Fiber finish system....Polyurethane paint is what is used on certified aluminum (Piper-Cessna) aircraft. ....Only drawback is very toxic.......probably more toxic than Poly-Fiber which is also very toxic. Fresh air hood recommended.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone ever black oxide coated steel parts? I never thought about a full welded frame.
I've black oxided some small (non aircraft) parts, it's not much protection.

I like Steel-It coatings, but I don't know what if anything it can be topcoated with.