Quantcast

Steel or wood for fabric covered motorcycle full fairing.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MotoFairing

I am considering wood strips 25mm x 4mm or steel flat 10mm x 3mm bar for a frame to be covered by Dacron before painting.

I am considering a front and rear section with or without side doors.

The frame is to be constructed while mounted to the motorcycle to ensure adequate clearances.

It is important to me that a smooth curve can be achieved from front to back for better aerodynamics.

The fairing must remain rigid at speeds of 110km per hour.

Without purchasing the materials and trying to put it together I won't know if I have the right materials so I figured I best ask here for some thoughts to hopefully make a better choice.

Attachments

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I think that is a perfectly valid question for this forum given the aircraft-like application and construction. You might consider blind-riveted aluminum tube and gusset as an alternative to the steel tubing and Oratex pre-painted fabric for ease of application and durability.

C2588377-4D40-4746-ABA8-B6719AB6D467.jpeg

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Wood stringers on aircraft are often just a bit wider, roughly 6mm, but dimensions do vary. Some of the ones in my plans stash are: 1" x 1/4", 1 1/4" x 1/4", 3/4" x 3/8", etc.

A gentleman came to this forum a few years ago looking for information about fabric covering for his cycle kart, which has a similar, but smaller, fairing. You might want to review that thread:
Dope and Fabric on a Cycle Kart

delta

Don't forget to consider crash protection and then figure out a way to put wings on it. Welcome to the forum.

Martin

I am considering wood strips 25mm x 4mm or steel flat 10mm x 3mm bar for a frame to be covered by Dacron before painting.

I am considering a front and rear section with or without side doors.

The frame is to be constructed while mounted to the motorcycle to ensure adequate clearances.

It is important to me that a smooth curve can be achieved from front to back for better aerodynamics.

The fairing must remain rigid at speeds of 110km per hour.

Without purchasing the materials and trying to put it together I won't know if I have the right materials so I figured I best ask here for some thoughts to hopefully make a better choice.
Wood would be better as it will not be so easily bent or deformed from a bump or small impact, for sure. You could mould a fibreglass structure around it or use polyester fabric glued on then shrunk by a regular household iron.

MotoFairing

My first transformed recumbent electric scooter had its fuselage from using chicken wire as basis. Really! Once shape was done i placed glassfibre layers over it.

That looks interesting. I have seen this bike a couple times over the years.