• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Statically Indeterminate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
First off, I do intend to do the math on this one but wanted to check and see if my intuition is on the right track.

I've been pondering the engine mount on my Rocket and there is a tube right in the path of a planned component. I've been thinking about a redesign of this member to give me the clearance I need, but as I look at it, it seems to be redundant.

I'm speaking of the horizontal cross tube that connects the two lower (engine side) mount ears.

Also keep in mind that there are a total of (6) bolts tying the mount to the ship. The 4 perimeter bolts, and two not yet installed between the gear leg sockets.

34oepo6.jpg

It seems to me that the horizontal tube controls "splay" of the ears, but that particular load appears to resolve through the trangulated members into the landing gear truss at the firewall. In the same fashion, the gear leg tube splay is handily controlled at the firewall connection.

I think this tube was used to keep the dynafocal geometry stable during fabrication, but is a redundant member now. I hope so, because life would be a lot easier if it was gone.

thoughts?

Back