Starter Screech on Subaru

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
Hi All,

A friend of mine is trying to fix a problem on his Subaru (E-85?) powered Neiuport.

When he engages the starter the bendix doesn't engage the flywheel but just kind of fails to engage and make a horrible grinding/screeching noise.

1) It's a new install but worked okay a month ago.

2) It's a very non-standard install with a long shaft between the starter and starter gear.

2) (a) alignment of the starter gear shaft to the flywheel gear was kind of a guess.

3) The electrical system is complicated and unproven.

4) The starter switch is of questionable quality (I know it's a possible culprit)

It used to work but now it doesn't, Any thoughts or suggestions?

BBerson

HBA Supporter
My tractor does that. Try a half second blip of starter switch to engage the gear. Then start over with continuous crank.

FritzW

Log Member
The teeth on both gears are still in good shape and we've tried manually aligning the gears through all sorts of alignment possibilities (same as a half second bump on the starter?).

I had an old Nissan Sentra that did the same thing once in a while but I traded it off before I ever found out what the problem was.

TFF

The wires have to pass the amps, the gears have to be shimmed to mesh right, that shaft cant have amy wobble. Only spray bendix with a pure silicon spray. No grease no oil; I tend to "wash " it with contact cleaner first. If you can boost it and it works, its an amps problem.