Start with composities

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Albert80

Hi guys,
I am pretty new to this forum and I have need of your help...I want realize a little composite airplane, that can also help me to manage composities.
Do you know some kit or type of airplane or drawing?

Thanks
Albert

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Well, the smallest composite bird around was the Quickie. It was a plans built t single seater with tandem wings. You might be able to find a set of plans for sale or on the web.

Most composite airplanes are two seater fast airplanes. The type of airplane that favors composite construction are efficient traveling machines. Check out Cozy's, Long Ez's, etc. Plans are out there for Cozy MkIV, and you can find plans or partially built projects for Long Ez, Cozy, and others.

My usual approach is to ask what your use is planned to be. For STOL work, bush work, and the like, sheet metal and rag/tube birds seem to suit better. If you want an efficient cruiser, then glass is a good choice.

Billski

Albert80

Thanks a lot,
I'll look for it on the web.
I agree with you about the choice of the type of the airplane!! I have check Cozy's, Long Ez's, etc planes but for me are to much difficoult for start!

Albert

lr27

Do the LongEZ plans have a lot of stuff not on the Open EZ plans? They're free, I think. Not sure where on the web, but on the web someplace.

Mac790

Do the LongEZ plans have a lot of stuff not on the Open EZ plans? They're free, I think. Not sure where on the web, but on the web someplace.
What do you mean by Open-Ez plans?, officially for the Open-Ez you can download only templates, so you still need plans (manuals). I've heard that someone put plans on the web too, but I didn't check it out, I bought mine.

Seb

lr27

The stuff at opencanard.com is a lot more than just templates, though I haven't looked through enough to see if it's enough to build an airplane. I don't know what the copyright situation is.

Mac790

Actually there is very little useful info there, if I remember correctly they were going to make a "new" version of original plans (cad drawings instead of hand sketches, etc), but I think that they gave up, after some unpleasant discussion. (can't give you direct links, canardzone.com is "dead")

Seb