Quantcast

Starlite plans, VariEze or LongEze plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

edwisch

No planning to build either, but want to look especially at StarLite wing plans and Eze rudder plans. Don't need to be full size, just want the details. Thanks!

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
If you head over to canardzone.com, they have "open source" copies of the Open-Ez, which are essentially copies of the Long-Ez plans.

billyvray

You should join the Starlite owners group at Groups.io (what used to be the yahoo group). The entire assembly manual is posted there.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks! Did the download but it turns out that what I really need is the manual... and I didn't see a download there.
It’s available on the Rutan Aircraft Factory CD-ROM Encyclopedia from TERF, but not a free download.

edwisch

Downloaded the StarLite info, thanks! The Rutan info is more than I need or want to pay for.

Deuelly

Log Member
This should help.

daveklingler

In 2016 Russ Emanis's composites workshop at Airventure laid up a carbon Star-Lite in the original Mark Brown forms. Mark Brown sold said forms to another gentleman who has thus far used them for one or two carbon Star-Lites.

Somewhere (maybe the Star-Lite forum?) I saw some mention of tentative plans to offer new carbon kits. At any rate, the original forms still exist.

Perhaps someone else knows more?

EDIT: The molds are now owned by Brian Burghgrave, who finished a very nice fiberglass Star-Lite in 2010:

A blurb in Composites World about a second carbon/Innegra Star-Lite at Airventure:

Many years ago I helped someone build a Star-Lite. I've considered gently lobbying Mr. Burghgrave for another set of parts.

ANOTHER EDIT: I don't remember where I saw something about the carbon Star-Lite.

Last edited:

daveklingler

That is a very good looking airplane. Any additional specifications or performance information available?

BJC
Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 11.07.11 AM.png

If you follow the link above to Brian Burghgrave's description of his first flight, he gives a little pirep, albeit with a Rotax 503 instead of a 447.

Kitplanes December '86 has an article on the Star-Lite, if you have a subscription. I actually have that issue somewhere. Also the April 1985 issue.

I also found four articles on the Star-Lite in Sport Aviation by searching for the exact phrase "star-lite".

Reactions: BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Thanks.

I was hoping to find something more definitive. For example, the actual measured empty weight, measured stall speed, etc. Not saying that the stated numbers are not real, but I find that there frequently is a difference between claimed specs / performance, and actual.

BJC