Quantcast

Starduster Too: Required Builder Skills

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

What I will say is for a beginner, TIG or OA will look just about the same. Only someone that is getting good will be able to use the advantage of TIG. Not that using one for the beginner will yield bad results, but a beginners bead is a beginners bead. OA is a little more forgiving in tight spaces. OA is a little easier to control heat on a cluster for a beginner. TIG is only better if you are good, otherwise it’s equal with different equipment.

don january

Log Member
I agree TFF and Pops. I found using the Tig you have to learn to run a third coordination of your body and that is the thumb or foot control for heat. also foot control makes being comfy harder unless you can sit during the weld and on a fuselage weld that is next to impossible. Many things to think about when buying or schooling for welding

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Sometimes it's nice to do something that's NOT work.......
I used to work on cars 5-6 days a week. Took the fun out of working on my own on Sunday.....

120mm

Welding is not that hard of a skill to learn. Show winning welding is on a whole different level that takes literally miles of welding bead practice, like professional welding every day for ten years. A safe, usable, respectable looking weld takes a month or two of serious practice.

What helps is practice, screw up a bunch, try different things while practicing. After that, you have a language to talk to someone who can direct you. It’s not hard.

The hardest thing is you have to use both hands at once, and you have limited resting space because stuff is hot.

Clean the area often. Oxidation does not weld easy.
Best advice.

Get a quality rig and start burning metal

scramjetter

Good link, I think I see my future :D weld and grind...

If you are going OA check out TM Technologies: Tools, Sheet Metal Shaping Machines, & Gas Welding Supplies for Better Metalworking
After visiting tinmantech and watching the vids I thought for sure I wanted to gas weld a fuse. Virtually all the welders I know said to go TIG. I’m still torn. I can tell you one thing I’m darned tired of regrinding tungsten after dipping it in the puddle!
I think going with the OA to start is the most reasonable route for me, given what everyone is saying, and then a move over to TIG at some point would be a worthwhile skill to have. It spreads out the learning curve and I am going to need the OA rig anyway.

OA is a little easier to control heat on a cluster for a beginner. TIG is only better if you are good, otherwise it’s equal with different equipment.
Thanks everyone for all the great information, I've read every comment and I appreciate the input!

Paul

120mm

Good link, I think I see my future :D weld and grind...

I think going with the OA to start is the most reasonable route for me, given what everyone is saying, and then a move over to TIG at some point would be a worthwhile skill to have. It spreads out the learning curve and I am going to need the OA rig anyway.

Thanks everyone for all the great information, I've read every comment and I appreciate the input!

Paul
Be sure to get one of those tiny torches sold by TinMan. You will surely appreciate how good they are for light 4130 tube

Riggerrob

Also visit your local "maker space." Chances are they have welding equipment and offer beginner classes in welding and another dozen skills. Many "makers" and "hackers" are gregarious and will coach beginners for little more than a beer at the end of the day.

120mm

Do they support a tip that produces enough heat for bending fittings?

BJC
Good question. I doubt it, but I also have a standard rosebud tip on a standard sized torch.

TM tech has some clever disconnect fittings, as well as an eternal flame device that are also must haves if one wants to be serious about welding airplane tubing