Starduster Too Inspection

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

texcofly

I am an A&P and my local EAA chapter has asked me to do an annual on their Starduster Too. Other than the usual items on this aircraft, are there any areas or items that I need to pay close attention to?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a pretty conventional tube and fabric plane. If it has the old style landing gear (rear tube intersecting halfway up the front tube instead of down at the axle) look carefully for cracks at the weld. Flying wires in good shape. Lots of Starduster info on the biplane forum.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
As always, check the age and condition of the bungees. If you have reason to remove the bungees, check the weld where the two gear truss tubes join; it’s not known for issues, but when I changed my bungees, I found a crack in the weld deep in the vee where they join (it was hidden behind the bungee).

Also, there was a design mod where the gear placement was moved back by a couple of inches. It wasn’t a mandatory change, but it lightens the load on the tailwheel and makes the plane a lot easier to handle on the ground. I think most Too’s have been modified or were built under the newer configuration.

Reactions: BJC