Staple removal the easy way

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Geek1945, Dec 3, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1

Geek1945

Geek1945

Geek1945

If remove your staples here's a great method for fast removal without using tools, this might just change my mind:
    [​IMG]

Rope on staple in-Pull rope staple out

2. Dec 3, 2013 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Whew!!!

Until I saw your (nearly hidden) last line about 'rope', I thought you had rigged the staples with primer cord! :eek:

Joe Fisher likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #3

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Hahaha.....that would be awesome. Remove the staples and stress test at the same time!

4. Dec 4, 2013 #4

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

The idea will work and will keep the staple from denting the ply surface. Yanking the string upward will usually only pull one staple leg out; you'll still need to use something to pull the rest of it. I used a small pair of sidecutters.

Dan

5. Dec 4, 2013 #5

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

I use 3/16" zip ties, but this is a great idea too!

6. Dec 5, 2013 #6

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

I came up with an idea on staple removal, actually putting them in, that would make grabbing them easier and found an EAA tutorial (I'm pretty sure it was by EAA) that suggested the idea was OK too. I put a piece of 1/16" plywood under the staple gun right behind the area where the staple is driven out of the gun. With that, the staple stays about 1/16" "proud" of the surface so it can be grabbed with a needle nose plier and removed. To remove, I grab one side of the staple, twist just a little bit and pull. They come out one staple leg at a time. Some people on another board criticized my method, but I thought if it's OK with EAA it was OK with me. I use T-88 epoxy and understnd it really doesn't need a lot of camping force to work well anyway.

Just another idea.

Lynn

7. Dec 5, 2013 #7

spikews

spikews

spikews

I used popsicle sticks. T-88 also.

8. Dec 6, 2013 #8

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Its only because, just like me, they are mad because they didn't think of it while they were dealing with staples. I just use a 90 welder's pick, with the end ground like a tiny flat head screwdriver/chisel. If you are careful (and you get plenty of practice), you can get the staple up without any damage. The only time I had to be super careful, is when I was working across the grain in the ply. Of course the ply under the stapler head would have made life a bit easier........

9. Dec 6, 2013 #9

Rosco

Rosco

Rosco

Years ago ,in another life I used to build theatre scenery and to ensure we could remove staples on the front face we modified the air stapler .The trigger is pressed and the tongue that pushes the staple pushes out and then ground of flush so as to stop the staple being pushed below the surface.We then canted the staple gun to the side so one leg of the staple was left proud and easy to grip with what ever you use to pull them out.We also turned the air pressure down to help with the problem.A lot quicker than putting thin ply underneath,which we tried,when putting a lot of fixings. Cheers Ross