• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stall Recovery vs Tail/Fuselage design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stankap

Another question to stir up some thoughts.
In most aircraft design texts it shows the typical 60deg/30deg unstable air profile for the leading and trailing edges of the horizontal stabilizer relative to the vertical stabilizer/rudder. The point of the diagram is in correctly locating the horiz stab to keep a portion of the rudder surface outside this area in the clean airflow.

My questions is this.
Most aircraft designs I see do not take this into consideration and some are spinable and recoverable. During my instructor training we did spins in the C-150 and recovered fine, but in looking at the C-150 tail design the rule above does not look like it applies to the cessna design.

Also,
I read in several texts that a flat bottom on the fuselage aft of the cockpit actually will make it more difficult to get out of spins, yet I see more designs than not with this sort of aft fuselage geometry. Is it OK or not?

Thanks,
Stan

Back