Quantcast

Stagger 4 engine CAD

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

WonderousMountain

(3) Yes, five main bearings. The balance mechanism is moving up on the to-do list. I don't want to assume Lancaster shafts which would either occupy useful space or require more material elsewhere.

(4) I'm looking at Japanese standard small diameter Iridium plugs, Denso and NGK. The plugs are close to the Exhaust valve seat; I want to make sure the area between doesn't reach embrittlement temperatures, if it performs well, the next size up would be carried by more manufactures at improved prices.

(5) Magnesium's most tenacious adversary is creep, parts exposed to high temperatures for long periods of time either warp or loose much of it's strength. Solve that problem and corrosion pops up, solve for corrosion and ignite ability says hello. There are a few new alloys in the last decade that are all around performers; but they need to be cast in a neutral gas or vacuum. No matter how good the reports, there's nothing that settles things better than in house testing.

(7) My hope is for $100.00 per HP, but as you may have noticed wishful thinking is company policy.

LuPi

Titanium is a very tough and temperature stable metal, excellent for engine parts. The problem of surface galling and other surface wear difficulties makes it's use less appealing. From what I can tell, there are now very strong long lasting coatings available. I look forward to using titanium judiciously. As a replacement for steel, 3/5th the weight makes for easy gains, but aluminum is a better choice for a casing if there's not going to be high # of load cycles to survive.

Last edited:

WonderousMountain

So,

As it turns out, I'm working on the business plan now again. (Seriously)

I need to get market research done which demonstrates the (good sense) of my motor proposal.

There's no point in telling me what I need to accomplish if you're not offering to accomplish it.

Any case, I suppose it's not ultra difficult. Just need to cover the types of engines used in homebuilts, kits etc. and their performance compared to my goals, establish general trends.

Hmmmnnn....

LuPi

WonderousMountain

For those interested;

I'm being stagnated in the court prosecutions over Public Contracts, Citizen Agency and the authority of a hearings officer.

Much more time has been wasted in this than any looming technical problem. The jury selection should happen within the month.
Otherwise, my filings will go through soon also; so one way or another we should come to a conclusion.

Keep on Keeping on,

ChenKen LuPi

WonderousMountain

Sentenced to 18 months probation.

Out of 12 months fixed maximum allowable by law...

Well, I can probably get more done now.

Appreciate the tolerance from the wingnut division.

LuPi

WonderousMountain

Manolis ran my moments on the last version.

Good news was it came out substantially lower
than the equivelant 3 cylinder inline. However,
We have both first order & second order forces.

Upcoming changes:
Cylinder 1-2 & 3-4 will pair up,
removing two main journals.

The really un*necissary lightweight
Piston will be revealed. I will grab -
CAD import appropriate sparkplug.

Exhaust tappet will be upgraded to a
PWM plunger, that thing from Free-Valve.

Camshaft mounted BAR stators (two),
and Some kind of CDI system seperate
from on board electronics.

Also, what will I do about Crank/Bank°¿

Attachments

WonderousMountain

Very possibly the last Piston I design.
NOT worth the time devoted to it, and
there is next to no limit to complications.

Finally got my hex pad dimensioned, and
the cross struts run through the rod journal.
Thankfully it showed up immediately. Ring
landing needs expanded. 1cm is too busy
& more importantly will carry excess heat.

Giving up on oil cavity. It was way too small
I didn't know the correct pathway and Maybe
only good for diesel... 1/4 Bore 1.5cm gudgeon
Maybe oversized. I don't have the SAE reports.

Also given up on lowering deck height, though it
is by no means bad. Cylinder sleeve expected ~
9cm, with 44mm stroke & ~42.5 Piston depth 1mm
Quench clearance - stretch.

Screenshot_20200923-183320.png
So here's the new make.

WonderousMountain

The balancing shafts are a head scratcher.

There's at least a primary & secondary imbalance.
Saab Sonnet V-4 engine is basically no help, that
shaft is heavy, only covers primary forces & breaks.

We could use 80% Honda Pistons, pins, Rods &
big end bolts for calcs, but I would not have an REAL
example. Still, it must be broached at some point.

WonderousMountain

Edit: I found my error, but my CAD session is done, this tablett will not! fix it, made worse...

Going with the Cross Bar was not my first instinct. However it fits in nicely with the Piston Pin journal landing? Tried to increase my Piston Top landing to improve strength, but it threw my grooves out of size, err well. More to do. Reasonably happy to get it together this day.
Piston Crown.png

Last edited:

WonderousMountain

Okay, I'm about to stop posting pictures of this never-ending Piston Buildup.

Here's where it is, the error in My hex pad has been fixed, so it's an actual Hex,
and not a similance. There's a larger ring landing, and I've placed both keystone
Piston rings in a carrier, the Compression and the Scraper-Sealer ring. As of now,
the carrier is Titanium, but you know, we'll see about options. Gets 2.5mm 2 piece
oil control ring, cavity shown.

Full length, Depth? is 4.25cm, with 4.5 stoke+Quench space. So it fits a planned
9cm Sleeve/liner. 15mm Gudgeon pin with 3mm Wall made of high Nickel Alloy,
currently 22.5 Grams. No all up Weight, generally 120grams would be success.
Piston Crown.png

WonderousMountain

It's all right, I'm done making pitches.
These are just my drawings right now.

I do not build engines as a profession.
Nor am I AM rated or capable.

Last edited:

WonderousMountain

Today's session result. Original crank was not too realistic. Been needing to estimate the counterweight for bearings, rods & pistons. Closer?, maybe a little. Been trying for crank pin overlap, but that could be tricky while targetting a low weight. The program gave me the mass center from origin, Instead of the center bearing. However, that's where I saw it, Beginner's luck? Won't know till I get the smart computer again.

Spiral crank lives up to it's moniker, with the weights location going through 270° rotation.
Never done this even once, so all I am confident about is weighting opposite journals. Set A2 Steel for the material, assuming it's the wrong stuff, but mass came out to +1900 Grams. Excess of four pounds.

Only the sections going to the outer journal are tapered. There's not been lightening or plugging.

Crank Redux.png

Last edited:

WonderousMountain

So the issue stumping me now is Re-starter ring sizing. Auto motive type engines have flywheels in excess of the crankcase width, some very much so. What I'd like to determine is how much advantage this really gives in a midflight restart, or more to the problem, what examples are there of downsized ring gear in operation, marine - Aero or small engine.

It's not only a matter of wheel weight, this determines an upsize, from my point of view, on the bell housing, and block closeout. I'd like to male sure it's weight doing something for me. Also any responses should include starter information.

Here's a section drawing of drive housing I found.
Screenshot_20201022-134210.png