• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stabilators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

OK so I do admit that I am new to full sized aircraft design, and I also admit I still have a fair way to go on the learning curve :D
Now we have gotten that out of the way, why is it when I switch from the standard stabilisor/elevator design to stabilator, I have to increase the area of the lifting surface to get suitable performance from it?
I could understand if it requires more to continue to function as a stabilisor, but it seems it actually needs it in order for it to exert sufficient authority as an elevator to lift the nose.
The frustrating thing is, when I run a simulation on the 1/3 scale variant, bearing in mind this is very loosely based on the parameters of the design and as such is subject to considerable interpretation, it requires 15 degree down stick to maintain level flight. not good...:wail:
The simulator is part of my R/C modelling design set, in the past, smaller designs I have tested on it worked well in the air (except for those darned V tailed things!:mad:), it is in this instance merely a rough guide before I construct a test model, as it is really not suited to much giant scale work.

Back