SSSC Take-off

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Pops, Mar 16, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 16, 2018 #1

Pops

Pops

Pops

2. Mar 17, 2018 #2

don january

don january

don january

Very nice video Dan definitely not much room for error.

3. Mar 17, 2018 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

I was not flying it at the time, the new owner was flying it. Sure hated to sell it but didn't have room in my hanger to put the wings on the JMR and not enough land space to add to the hanger. My daughter always says to build your hanger the size of your land, you will fill it and if not someone else will.

4. Mar 18, 2018 #4

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

But where would your runway go?

5. Jul 5, 2018 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

I still own part of the runway, but my home and hanger is on one acre and no room to expand the hanger. The owner of the woods behind my acre is willing to sell me more land but I have enough to take care of now.

6. Jul 6, 2018 #6

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Pops: move out here. Neighbor needs to sell his place: 13.33 acres with 40x72 metal barn with 30' door. Our 13.33 acres abuts. A runway of at least 1400' would be possible. I already have a near complete shop (I don't have an english wheel or planishing hammer) but air tools, shear, brake, lathes (2) Bridgeport, stick, TIG, MIG and O/A welders compressor and 5'x5' CNC plasma cutter. And a backhoe and boom truck. Oh! There is a livable mobile home and living quarters in the first 24' of the metal barn. Has it's own well. Asking is $150k Low maintenance. No grass. Sage brush only

7. Jul 6, 2018 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

Thanks, but lots of people are leaving CA for a reason. Also, I grew up in the mountain woods and love the green. Thinking of putting our place up for sale and trying to find 50-100 acres back in the middle of nowhere with a field cleared off to land in. Found one that was 53 acres on a dead end gravel road with a house that we liked and one large barn and an equipment shed and a ridge of about 1800-2K to land an airplane, about 17 miles from a small town. Can make an approach on one end below runway elevation. About 25 acres of cleared land and the rest woods. The owners decided to take it off the market, so we are still looking.

8. Jul 6, 2018 #8

Rconc

Rconc

Rconc

9. Jul 6, 2018 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

SSSC = Single Seat Super Cub . What it really is= Fisher Super Koala construction but built single place and to the dimension of the Fisher Koala 202 for the Cub look. Not one part is the same as the SK except for using the same airfoil. All 4130 LG and hardware, with a 60 HP, 1835 cc VW non-electric engine of 141 lbs firewall forward.
    Now based about 10 miles south of Raleigh, NC.

10. Jul 6, 2018 #10

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

It sounds like you had found a great spot. Too bad they took it off the market. We are hoping for a Red Tide take over California from the crazy Democrats that have brought us to the brink of bankruptcy. We too thought about moving but too much invested in all our stuff and not wanting to move into some tornado alley. We do have property tax protection here and hope to keep it.

ToddK likes this.
  11. Jul 6, 2018 #11

Pops

Pops

Pops

The property tax problem really sticks in my craw. We in the U.S. have not had absolute ownership ( only provisional ownership- Blacks Law Dictionary) of real-estate since 1932 , not by law, but executive action. ( same day the gov took the gold coins for 1/2 value). If you don't believe me, don't pay the tax and see who really owns it.
    One of the reasons I live where I do. We had lower taxes in the past but last year my real-estate taxes went up 33% and the value of my real-estate has remained flat since 2008. We have no property tax protection.

ToddK and MadRocketScientist like this.
  12. Jul 8, 2018 #12

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

That may not happen but when the Big One comes, maybe it will look like the old maps show it:

h69.33.2_edit_0.jpg

stuart fields likes this.
  13. Jul 11, 2019 #13

Pops,
    The new owner sent me the companion landing video. Together they show off just how capable this design is.

Matt

Pops and mcrae0104 like this.
  14. Jul 12, 2019 #14

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Having been to Inyokern as well as visiting Pops at his place, I don't blame him at all for staying where he is. The high desert in CA has a beauty of its own and admittedly it's great for flying airplanes, but when you grow up in the mountain woods as he and I did, it's home. And how can you not love a grass runway with pruned evergreen shrubs for runway edge markers? :)

Pops likes this.
  15. Jul 12, 2019 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

Grass strip about 15 miles south of me that is 900' , over trees on one end and a bend in the middle of about 25 degs. No problem with the SSSC. Even without flaps.

Great airplane.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. Jul 12, 2019 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yep. the woods were my home growing up and knowing every tree for 5 miles in any direction. Friend of mine lives in the high desert and its a nice place to visit but the woods are home. Know what to eat and what not to eat. Or smoke, but I rather chew the Indian tobacco. Grandfather was a good teacher.

All the evergreens just reached their life span and were cut down, now orange plastic cones. Can't wait until new evergreens get planted again every 200'.