SR-71 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by GlassVampire, Dec 22, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 22, 2014 #1

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

Interesting bit of trivia for all you avgeeks :)

50 Years ago today (Dec 22, 1964) Lockheed SR-71 (s/n 61-7950) made its maiden flight from Air Force Plant 42, Palmdale, California (The Skunkworks) with Lockheed test pilot Bob Gilliland onboard.

Earlier versions of the aircraft (the A-12) had already been test flown from Groom Lake (Area 51) for the CIA on 30 April, 1962.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Dec 22, 2014 #2

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

3. Dec 22, 2014 #3

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

4. Dec 22, 2014 #4

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Nice :) Still one of the coolest airplanes of all time IMO.

5. Dec 22, 2014 #5

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

One of the greatest achievements in human history IMHO. By luck and happenstance, I have been fortunate to meet one or two of the people who were involved.

For the sake of perspective, I believe this aircraft design was begun only 12 or 13 years (and flown less than 20 years) after the end of WW2 when piston powered aircraft were still in front line service. The airplane was designed and engineered with slide rules, and drawn on paper at drafting tables 20 or 30 years before the internet, CAD/CAM, and fluid dynamics visualization.

DangerZone and bmcj like this.
  6. Dec 22, 2014 #6

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Yes, truly amazing. And an amazing period for aerospace engineering in general. Entirely new and unique U.S fighter aircraft entered >production< every 3 yrs or so, the remarkable B-58, the amazing technological marvel of ICBMs (place a payload anywhere in the world in less than 30 minutes, very close to the desired point with no human navigation required). On the civil side we had the Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8 that changed air travel entirely within a few years. Slide rules, talent, money, focus (courtesy of a real adversary) and a willingness to take risks got a lot done.

thump and JamesG like this.
  7. Dec 22, 2014 #7

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Which is kind of sad that, in the last 50 years, they have not really developed the next "coolest airplane of all time".

Pops likes this.
  8. Dec 22, 2014 #8

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

They have. Its just classified. Remember for the first decade of its service life, the SR-71 was top secrut and no one but the occasional airliner pilot looking in the right direction at the wrong time ever saw one.

9. Dec 22, 2014 #9

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Maybe you know something the rest of us don't, but I've just always presumed that unless they have developed a runway to orbit single vehicle system there isn't any tactical need for "the next coolest airplane". It might also depend on your definition of "airplane"?

10. Dec 22, 2014 #10

oriol

oriol

oriol

It goes without saying that each has its own definition of cool airplane. IMHO although both the Helios and the HPAs designed by Paul Mc Cready can not be compared with a SR 71 in terms of performances they represent big milestones of the recent aviation history.

I believe that we can be "moderately" satisfied because since the maiden flight of the Blackbird a new generation of minimal and affordable airplanes (hangliders, paragliders, microlights...) has emerged. Although there is still a long way to go this categories of airplanes had allowed to open the doors of aviation to a greater number of people.

Oriol

11. Dec 22, 2014 #11

K4WGE

K4WGE

K4WGE

12. Dec 23, 2014 #12

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Agreed. When I borrowed that phrase, I meant it specifically to the high and fast realm.

akwrencher likes this.
  13. Dec 23, 2014 #13

Pops

Pops

Pops

If someone was alive in 1900 and then in 1950, huge change in living standards and our culture. Then if someone was alive in 1950 and then in 2000, they would feel very much at home, not much change except computers. ( I was born in 1940) . I was raised by my Cherokee Grandfather ( 1876-1959) and was raised and lived the same as the Indian 1880 horse culture. I didn't have a dog, I had a 1800 lb 2 year old wild stallion, or maybe he had me for a pet.

Dan

Doggzilla, DangerZone, Wayne and 3 others like this.
  14. Dec 23, 2014 #14

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

I was born in 1978, just a youngin', but I spent a lot of my child hood without running water, telephone, tv, or even electricity at times. We did have a chainsaw though, didn't have to cut wood by hand :)

On topic, I watched a cool documentary last winter on the SR-71. It had an amazingly long service history, I don't think they ever lost a plane on a mission, and was only recently retired in favor of satalites. Quite a history.

Doggzilla likes this.
  15. Dec 23, 2014 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

How could any airplane lover not love a SR-71?

Grew up 7 miles from the nearest road, no electric, plumbing, or anything else. Lived in a shack with 1/2" gaps in the walls and floors. Have had 3' of snow inside the house. Went to a one room school. Raised or killed all of our food.

Dan

Doggzilla likes this.
  16. Dec 23, 2014 #16

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

You forgot walking uphill both ways. ;)

akwrencher likes this.
  17. Dec 23, 2014 #17

Pops

Pops

Pops

Nope , On a mountain ridge.

A SR-71A is on display at the Airforce Museum in Dayton, Ohio.

18. Dec 23, 2014 #18

TFF

TFF

TFF

I shed a tear every time I see one on display. I have seen 6-7 of the A12 or SR71s out there. I love vintage photos of the early ramp equipment around these things. Just like a space ship landed in the 50's. Another favorite is one of the Northrop wings with a converted Model T truck as a bowser in the background. Now, we cant even make a full run of fighters without the news hammering our incompetence of vetting problems and cost over runs.

19. Dec 23, 2014 #19

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

How different is it's outside from the one in New York, the Lockheed A-12? A couple of years ago an aircraft carrier called Intrepid had the A-12, Concorde and other cool airplanes on show aboard. I sneaked into the Concorde and browsed the Lockheed black bird, both seemed to be marvelous aircraft.

20. Dec 23, 2014 #20

oriol

oriol

oriol

I understood that, I am also aware that you fly a trike, I was not trying to criticize anyone in particular. It was just a general comment because it seemend that compared with the old days or since Kelly Johnson quit nothing really thrilling/epic happened in aviation.

BTW I too think that the blackbird is a marvellous airplane, a flying artwork.

Oriol