Squelch setting

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Bwing96, Mar 15, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1

Bwing96

Bwing96

Bwing96

I have a Icom A6 handheld that I will be using in my plane, which is open cockpit, with no electrical system and an unshielded ignition (to the best of my knowledge). For those that have similar conditions, what squelch setting seems to work best for you ? I do have an external antennae also.

The Icom A6 has squelch settings from 1 to 24 and by setting it on about 17 while still on the ground I can get rid of most of the engine static and still hear planes 8-10 miles away. I have not had a chance to fly yet and see if it will still work okay.

C85 with Bendix mags

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

You don't say what kind of engine or egnition I have a J3 with an A65 and Eisman mags and it will block all VHF radio and all regular TV for 5 miles and that has been my experance with all of the Cubs ,Tcrafts and Air nonkers I have been around for the last 40 years. Joe

3. Mar 16, 2008 #3

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Just a heads up on this radio..

4. Mar 16, 2008 #4

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

Years ago I tried a handheld in my T-Craft with A-65 and Bendix mags; there was so much noise that it was unusable. I didn't have shielded ignition though, if you don't either you might look into that (if you're lucky you might be able to add the snap on covers over the plugs instead of the full blown shielded plugs).

Re the A24 transmit squeal, I had the same problem with my A24 and a Comtronics helmet. Putting the original rubber duck antenna even 2' away from the radio on an extension cable solved the problem.

-Dana

California Raisins murdered - cereal killer suspected!