Squelch setting

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bwing96

I have a Icom A6 handheld that I will be using in my plane, which is open cockpit, with no electrical system and an unshielded ignition (to the best of my knowledge). For those that have similar conditions, what squelch setting seems to work best for you ? I do have an external antennae also.

The Icom A6 has squelch settings from 1 to 24 and by setting it on about 17 while still on the ground I can get rid of most of the engine static and still hear planes 8-10 miles away. I have not had a chance to fly yet and see if it will still work okay.

C85 with Bendix mags

Last edited:

Joe Fisher

You don't say what kind of engine or egnition I have a J3 with an A65 and Eisman mags and it will block all VHF radio and all regular TV for 5 miles and that has been my experance with all of the Cubs ,Tcrafts and Air nonkers I have been around for the last 40 years. Joe

Midniteoyl

Re: Homemade antenna
Quote:
have an Icom A24 radio which transmits a horrible squeal when used with an external mike (my Comtronics helmet).

"My A6 or A24 radio squeals when I transmit!
Miniaturisation of handheld radio transceivers reached a new level with the intriduction of the A6 and A24 radios. Unfortunately, to miniaturise the radio Icom also had to miniaturise the batteries, and to get enough battery life, they had to go to a 7.2 volt battery pack. The problem is, most GA headsets are designed to expect about 9 volts available from the radio, and without this voltage, many do not work well, and a side result is usually that RF energy from the radio antenna gets into the mike circuit, causing a squeal. Icom know about the problem, but there is no fix except fitting a remote antenna and getting it as far away from the headset and leads as possible. We do NOT recommend this transceiver for use with a headset."
Just a heads up on this radio..

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Years ago I tried a handheld in my T-Craft with A-65 and Bendix mags; there was so much noise that it was unusable. I didn't have shielded ignition though, if you don't either you might look into that (if you're lucky you might be able to add the snap on covers over the plugs instead of the full blown shielded plugs).

Re the A24 transmit squeal, I had the same problem with my A24 and a Comtronics helmet. Putting the original rubber duck antenna even 2' away from the radio on an extension cable solved the problem.

-Dana

California Raisins murdered - cereal killer suspected!