Spruce vs ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

orion

There are several varieties of wood that are stronger than spruce but do keep in mind that pretty much with all wood, the strength has a direct correlation to density (weight). Given that some properties of wood stay fairly consistent (such as bearing strength) regardless of their other properties, a spar that uses wood with a stronger tensile strength cannot be simply scaled down. This of course then results in a heavier structure.

The other issue to consider then is the wood quality. In general, you cannot just go to your local lumber store and get what you need. You need to become familiar with the specification requirements for wood components that are used in an airplane's structure. The chief among these is grain run-out but there are others also. All this might take a bit of reading.

Medic9204

I don't mind doing extra reading; this is supposed to be for educational purposes anyway, right? I'm not as worried about expense as I am availability : finding Stika Spruce around here is like finding 100 pound gold nuggets. I hate the mail-order idea because I prefer to see the wood I'm buying before I get it.

Rhino

Originally posted by Medic9204
That is a pretty good start. Any idea where the rest of the series is at now? He mentioned writing a series of articles.
Good question. I can't find the other parts. However, if you're an EAA member, you can find similar articles here and here.

Falco Rob

Medic,

If you can overcome your issues with "mail order" purchasing I suggest you stay with the industry standard (ie spruce) and get it from Western Aircraft Supplies, in British Columbia, Canada.

The guy's name is Marc Septav and I can recommend him without question. Contact him at aircraft@telus.net or P. O. Box 79, Slocan, BC V0G 2C0, Canada. Telephone: (250) 355-0003

I purchased all my spruce from him from the other side of the planet based only on good reports I had from other Falco builders and I can assure you that you won't have a problem.

Rob

Medic 9204,
You can substitute spruce with Douglas Fir (Oregon Pine) .I have made various experiments with spruce and pine and every time the pine was slightly stronger and the the grain run-out was superior. You could follow a grain line in an 1" square (planed) by 8 ft. piece from end to end. Colour vary from light cream to a reddish brown. I found the darker the colour, the stronger and slightly heavier the piece. Get some and do your own experiments

Kierie

Matt G.

Medic 9204,
You can substitute spruce with Douglas Fir (Oregon Pine) .I have made various experiments with spruce and pine and every time the pine was slightly stronger and the the grain run-out was superior. You could follow a grain line in an 1" square (planed) by 8 ft. piece from end to end. Colour vary from light cream to a reddish brown. I found the darker the colour, the stronger and slightly heavier the piece. Get some and do your own experiments

Kierie
Might want to take a look at the date of this thread...the OP hasn't logged in 5 years, so I doubt he's going to see this.

Head in the clouds

Kierie has been bumping several ancient threads.
Another example of you making up your rubbish just to have something to post Steve -

You may notice Kierie has a grand total of 7 posts, ever... and this is the first thread he has ever responded to apart from his own...

Also he happens to be a good friend of mine and not very computer or blog savvy but he does have a love for, and terrific knowledge of timber. Why don't you leave a bloke alone to learn about how the site works? Kierie will have been going through old threads in his quest for builder support in timber projects, it's not difficult to miss the thread date and Matt already pointed that out so there was no need for your totally false accusations.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Bumping an old thread is completely proper in my opinion (to add a new comment after searching the forum).

Much better than starting a new duplicate thread. It hardly matters if the original poster is around or not.
BB

litespeed

Leave the poor bloke alone...................hell, I bump into things all the time, esp without my glasses. :nervous:

Wagy59

Just go with certified spruce for cryin out loud and be done with it...if it's that much more expensive for ya, then ya shouldn't even be fooling around with getting yourself more than 6 feet off the ground

Head in the clouds

Just go with certified spruce for cryin out loud and be done with it...if it's that much more expensive for ya, then ya shouldn't even be fooling around with getting yourself more than 6 feet off the ground
That's all very well if the spruce is available. In Oz I don't think we have any grown here but we do have very high grade WRC, so if that was comparable why would you go to all the trouble of importing spruce? And that's quite apart from all the rigmarole involved in importing anything organic into Oz due to pest/disease control regulations.

hogheadv2

I have been thrilled with this thread and the links. Third or forth time through it. Not that I cannot or would not pay for Spruce is not the point. Having wood I harvested from our family property in Northern Michigan in my aircraft would be very special to me. [My uncle cut and had milled the lumber for all of his home, money is not an issue for him]

Other than plywood going from tree to air.... Why not?

Wood Handbook -- Wood as an Engineering Material

I have found Ch 4 The Mechanical Properties of Wood to really understand how to use wood to it's full advantage. Covers about 50 varieties including Sitka Spruce.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Group Builder