Spruce strips for Jurca Replica

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

wiloows5050

"No company is going to cut them in length exact feet and inches"... Really ???
Are you being serious right now ? That's why I was telling you most of you need to remove yourself from this thread. You have not even a clue how a woodworking company works, you never seen a CNC cutting router close in your life !
Now you are being ignorant. I have two CNC machines in my shop along with two computers for design work. I’ll bet you have never run a CNC machine. So what you are telling us is that you are not capable of cutting capstrips to length using a saw. You are going to have a woodworking company do all your cutting for you.

I give up. Why don’t you hire a company to build the MJ77 for you. It would be a lot easier and probably less likely to fall apart.

I lived all over the world and this isn’t a language barrier problem. You don’t seem to want to listen to explanations or take advice.

marianmadalin32

Now you are being ignorant. I have two CNC machines in my shop along with two computers for design work. I’ll bet you have never run a CNC machine. So what you are telling us is that you are not capable of cutting capstrips to length using a saw. You are going to have a woodworking company do all your cutting for you.

I give up. Why don’t you hire a company to build the MJ77 for you. It would be a lot easier and probably less likely to fall apart.

I lived all over the world and this isn’t a language barrier problem. You don’t seem to want to listen to explanations or take advice.
All my sponsors for my project did not have problems like you. Hell, they did not even seen my face. Ever. They cut for free for me everything I needed in order to help me save time. Did you ever helped anyone like that in your life? The answer is no. Why don't I hire a company to do the MJ77 for me? What kind of stupid question is that? I don't have money. I am from South East Europe. The project is 100% educational and free. Beat that!

marianmadalin32

To answer your question, you would need roughly the following lengths of 25 x 19 spruce:
  • 5.1m x 4 strips
  • 4.7m x 4 strips
  • 3.1m x 4 strips
  • 2.2m x 4 strips
That allows for a bit of leeway. That all adds up to a little bit (40cm) over the recommended 60m of spruce. If necessary you can scarf shorter lengths together, 3m from the end as suggested by the plans. These strips all go into the fuselage longerons. Half of the strips can actually be 20 cm shorter if needed, as the upper longerons aren't as long as the lower ones. All but four of them require tapering.

For 12 x 19 spruce, you need two 5m strips.

The rest becomes harder to work out without doing some calcs (or putting it in CAD). The drawing also indicates quite a few 19 x 19 transverse strips, the lengths of which can't be determined from this drawing - they'd be in the top-down plan.

Does that help?
Yes. Many thanks, @Shayde. This is what I am talking about, people. Let's help each other.

marianmadalin32

Well, exactly. I think we're finally on the same page. No, it's not hard. Hence why everyone here is wondering why you can't do it yourself.
Many thanks again, @Shayde. Mistery solved. And to reply to your comm, if others are lazy to even write some answers, why are they still on this thread? Why are they here, on this forum? Good job. Starting to order.

TFF

I don’t believe the plans are designed to the degree of perfection you want. They were intended to be used for hand assembly. Parts probably won’t fit without either someone fitting or putting the whole thing in cad and resolving issues in the computer first. If converted to cad, you would already know what you need. If you are just a manager, you bit off the wrong project or you need to recalibrate. Stringers are a nothing issue when none of the bulkheads line up when putting it together. Fixed on the airplane problem to problem or fixed in cad, and even then the person who touches it has to fiddle with it to fit.

wiloows5050

All my sponsors for my project did not have problems like you. Hell, they did not even seen my face. Ever. They cut for free for me everything I needed in order to help me save time. Did you ever helped anyone like that in your life? The answer is no. Why don't I hire a company to do the MJ77 for me? What kind of stupid question is that? I don't have money. I am from South East Europe. The project is 100% educational and free. Beat that!
Never answer for someone. It shows what type of person you really are. I’ve spent a lot of time helping people with their airplanes (pipers, Cessna and Grumman) for free, and I have an A&P. I was director of maintenance for a museum for 5 years, unpaid. My problem is when people won’t try and figure something out their self.
Are you planning on having someone doing all your metal work and welding too. Probably not the place to post that too. Good luck with that. Maybe you should see if one of the local schools has a shop class for volunteer labor.

To the moderators: feel free to delete any of my posts on this thread you think are out of line. If you feel I’m wrong please pm me and explain.

Dana LaBounty

No, mister/lady ! I want someone to look at them and simply tell me how many spruce strips I need, to know exactly the number of strips I order, before placing the order, not after. But I think you have no idea. So please remove yourself from this thread !
Correct, but seems to be a very big language barrier here. Can anyone tell me indications like this: 4 strips of 25x19, 6 meters long, 3 strips of 12x19 2 meters long. Is that hard ???
The Jurca designs use a different number of longerons depending on what you are using for an engine. How much will your engine/gearbox/propeller weighs and horsepower will dictate how many strips you use. If you build the steel tube fuselage it will go much quicker and cost much less. You can use CNC to cut the tubes so they fit together with great precision.

vhhjr

Supporting Member
I saw a mention of "static display" in this thread. Does the MM3 intend to build a static display aircraft? If that's the case I recommend he get a good set of giant scale RC plans and enlarge them to the scale he needs. Having done this for three different aircaft I can say it's the easiest way to make a decent display airframe. If he wants a flying aircraft, that's a different story.

Vince Homer

Attachments

• DSC01382.JPG
    DSC01382.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC01400.JPG
    DSC01400.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 0

john_michael

Usually I'm just a lurker, but Marian has a reputation for spamming company emails for free work. Last year he spammed my own company email with over 80 copies of the same question in the span of a week. The people he's convinced to make parts expected a paid job to come after.

Marian, educational projects don't mean they're free.

The only free labor is your own. Just because you're building a museum doesn't mean that you get out of spending money, Museums usually spend fortunes for their collections, and actually put the work in preserving history.

and to catch everyone up with where I've dealt with him before, he's building a """"museum,"""" and he wants the Jurca as his Main exhibit since he can't get a real one. He begged to try and get a free T-51, and a free Titan Tornado before as well. It's not clear what the museum is for. He tried to bum plans out of me by saying he just wanted exploded prints for display; But it's crystal clear he just wanted to try and get free blueprints. It's entirely likely he asked someone for a scan of Jurca plans as a "display" and that's how he acquired what he has.
I don't know the status of this "museum" he claims to run, but it clearly doesn't pull in much, if any revenue for him to pay anyone.

His claims of a static plane are also dubious, I'm worried he wants to build a half-assed plane and give """"rides"""" in it.

wiloows5050

If you are only build static display why not make it out of foam and cover it in fiberglass. Don’t say you want it to look authentic, there are no rivers on the jurca or a fiberglass. If you do fiberglass you could make it full size.