Quantcast

Spraying poly urethane on Spruce wing ribs

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I wouldn't. Modern way is ribs and spars and all reinforcement blocking is bonded with West or T88 epoxy, then the complete ashy is garnished with same epoxy. Then its is bonded and sealed. If you spray PU on the ribs, you interfere with bonding between parts.

Billski

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Some people still use varnish other than epoxy on small wood wings, but as was stated, you don't want to risk poor glue joints on the rest of the assembly. Some people mask the areas that will need glue, some sand, etc. Sounds like a lot of work to me, but each person, situation, is unique. Personally, if I get to building my wood airplane, I will probably use epoxy for all of it. I've been told West Systems special coatings hardener is good for that, but do your own research. My memory isn't especially awesome.

Rockiedog2

what TFF and Bill said. PF EV 400 epoxy is good and none of the other coatings/glues that I know of will attack it. If gluing the fabric probably best to lightly sand the tops of the capstrips

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
I used Norski epoxy wood treatment. Goes on beautifully and penetrates very well. It was suggested by some folks I know who do Beech stagger wing restorations.
5887FD16-B55D-461E-83A5-226FCACA7B8D.jpeg820431A8-D72C-4A17-9DBE-BDEAF5F77F88.jpeg25C893B2-2F28-4C63-AB9B-FDBF0A237489.jpeg