• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spratt 103 or Pouchel or ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaatXS

Hello,

I'm Renaat Souvagie, student, almost 20 yo, and I live in Belgium.
Since I was twelve, I've been building vehicles starting from scratch, for example my 3rd kart (top speed 95 mph, 0-60mph in 5 seconds) http://i52.tinypic.com/51dflg.jpg
Now I'm studying to become an engineer, I want to take it to the next level.

Surprise: I want to build an airplane.
Since I saw this HM14 Flying Flea/Pou du Ciel in my village, I realised that building an airplane shouldn't stay just a dream.
2vcaurq.jpg

I rode the book "Flying Flea: The Story" by Henri Mignet. His explanation is very clear, but I don't like the outdated technologies. That's why I've been thinking about the Pouchel design. ( www.pouchel.com Le site des Pouchel )

Another alternative could be the Spratt 103.
spratt103_vue_arriere2.jpg

I already e-mailed the Spratt 103 designer, and he told me the plans should be available in July. Price 100€.

I think i'm quite good with metal (cutting, bending, drilling, welding, TIG welding, ...), I know a lot about engines, I'm patient and my budget is about 2500-3000€. Is the Spratt 103 the right design to purchase? I prefer the Spratt because I rode there's a problem with the Pou du ciel wing design at higher speeds. Because of Bernouilli's principle, the gap between the front and rear wing generates a low pressure zone under the front wing...

What else should I know before buying anything? After my exams in June, I have 3 months school vacation. During those 3 months, I would like to start with gathering parts, maybe start building. There is no time limit, but 6-7 years should be enough if you start with tested plans I think.

Thanks for your advice.

Back