Spitfire

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Marc W

Somebody was building a full size Spitfire replica at Santa Paula Airport(KSZP) in California. It had a steel tube fuselage and wood wings built to the Jurca plans like Bob Defords. There was an Allison in the back of the hanger. The fuselage was welded and it had some sheet metal panels on it. The wings were almost complete. It has been several years since I saw it. I wonder whatever became of it. Maybe we can send VB to find out? It was in the outside row of hangers east of the restaurant.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Somebody was building a full size Spitfire replica at Santa Paula Airport(KSZP) in California. It had a steel tube fuselage and wood wings built to the Jurca plans like Bob Defords. There was an Allison in the back of the hanger. The fuselage was welded and it had some sheet metal panels on it. The wings were almost complete. It has been several years since I saw it. I wonder whatever became of it. Maybe we can send VB to find out? It was in the outside row of hangers east of the restaurant.

OK, next time I'm there for any reason I'll stroll down that way and ask about the Spitfire replica. The reasons for visiting that airport are numerous, but for some unfathomable reason the restaurant always seems to be involved, and my takeoff performance gets set back a ways when I leave. So I don't think I'll have any difficulty finding the restaurant to start the search for the Spitfire.

Marc W

First Sunday is a good time to go. That way you can walk off lunch while you admire the homebuilts, antiques and other cool airplanes. And there will be people about to ask about the Spitfire. You missed it this month though.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beautiful, sounds great too. Seems a really long takeoff roll?

Pops

Supporting Member
Yup. I built one of these for a TR-8 years ago. The Rover has some improvements over the Buick. Not a great engine but it's a light engine.
I had a Buick 215 ci alum block V-8 in my 1968 VW bug. It was 75 lbs heaver than the VW as you pull it out of the car not counting the stock cast iron exhaust headers of the Buick engine

Last edited:

llemon

65-75% seems like a great size for a practicalish Spit replica.
Yeah, a early mark dynamically scaled to around 75% is perfect for an LS3. With that engine around 400hp it will have the right power to weight ratio.

Do it like that scale wings P-51 and it'd be a real winner.