Quantcast

Spitfire by Gos Aero?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Risky

Gos Aero, as they are called, have got a website about a 80% Spitfire replica kit which they are developing. It's going to be made of composites.
It seems that their website hasn't changed in ages... does anyone here have any info on this aircraft/company?

Risky

Yes I know about the Australian one - very nice aircraft and kit but just not 'scale' enough for me, especially if you look at the price..! :para:

Tom Kay

That's the thing I've never really understood about some companies and their scale replicas. From the Aussie Spitfire to the Titan P-51, they are very respectable efforts (and I can appreciate an ENORMOUS effort) but with a few careful changes, could be so much closer to the original shape.

The V-stab on the Spitfire is close, but obviously off. The top of the rudder on the Titan P-51 is off. On a P-51, or a Mk IX Spitfire, you really need a 4 bladed prop. I know kit builders pushed for a bigger Whirlwind prop on the Titan, which only improves the look of it on the ground. But still worth it once you decide on an expensive labour of love like a scale fighter.

Just look at any original photo and you'll see it right away. These are only a few examples, but just on those 2 aircraft, I can find several things that would have made the replicas so much more realistic, and added virtually nothing to the development, production or kit cost.

Please don't get me wrong. I've never built an aircraft, let alone undertaken a whole production line of scale fighter kits, so I have huge respect for their efforts. But a tad more attention to detail could go a big distance to making their products look a lot more like the real McCoy.

Tom, the finicky one.

Latest posts