Spencer Original Design

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Naw Charley I don't want any oddball fuel stuff. And no pumps, I got a good idea about how it runs downhill and don't wanta get any more complicated than that. . And 5 gallons is enough for what I do anymore. Fly 30 minutes, land and pee.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Wing fuel tanks at the wing root. Rear pickup and a front pickup close to the root rib. Also Piper type sight gauges. Front pickup tube goes down the rear edge of the windshield on each tank. Rear pickup tube goes down at the rear of the doors and then a slope down to a tee at the front tube low in the side wall so even with the tailwheel on the ground the rear tube is sloped so not to trap any water.
The fuel tube from each side goes to a fuel valve on the center of the floor for OFF/ ON/ Right/Left. The to the fuel strainer and to the engine. I used a separate off/on fuel valve passed the tee on each side to a Tee on the inside of the firewall and then to the strainer on the front of the firewall.
Pictures of SSSC

Attachments

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Pictures of the fuel lines on the JMR. Couldn't find the 5/16 fittings I needed or went to 3/8" lines.
Look at all those nice hard lines. The wife's RANS S-6 must have 60 feet of hose doing the same thing...

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Wing fuel tanks at the wing root. Rear pickup and a front pickup close to the root rib. Also Piper type sight gauges. Front pickup tube goes down the rear edge of the windshield on each tank. Rear pickup tube goes down at the rear of the doors and then a slope down to a tee at the front tube low in the side wall so even with the tailwheel on the ground the rear tube is sloped so not to trap any water.
The fuel tube from each side goes to a fuel valve on the center of the floor for OFF/ ON/ Right/Left. The to the fuel strainer and to the engine. I used a separate off/on fuel valve passed the tee on each side to a Tee on the inside of the firewall and then to the strainer on the front of the firewall.
Pictures of SSSC
That's nice Pops thanks for that. Your planes are lots nicer than mine.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Look at all those nice hard lines. The wife's RANS S-6 must have 60 feet of hose doing the same thing...
I got AL lines in mine too but bought some hose today to try a fuel feed experiment. The hard ones are coming out for the experiment.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Pictures of SSSC
Dan
Does the ON position on the fuel valve select BOTH tanks?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dan
Does the ON position on the fuel valve select BOTH tanks?
No. Bob Barrow uses a fuel valve that has both, I'm just using right tank- off /on. Left tank - off / on for each wing fuel tank. I put both tanks on for take-offs and landing. Just a habit I have gotten into but after flying the SSSC for 10 years I would take off on both tanks, after one hour switch to left tank for one hour, then switch to the right tank for one hour, same for the next hours. Then after I switch every 1/2 hr and make sure I have the most fuel in the right tank on landing if the airport has a left pattern. Less chance of un-porting a fuel tank pickup. SSSC has two 8.3 gal wing tanks for a cruise fuel burn of 2.9/3.0 gph at 2700 rpm.
My old IFR stop watch on the panel of the SSSC and a timer on the panel of the JMR.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
That's good Pops. A valve on each tank. I missed that. Thanks. You Old Timers are clever.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Worked thru all the header tanks and ended up deciding to run without one. Wanted the weight forward and the range but didn't work out that way. Plus the mission has changed. No longer interested in coast to coast x-cs. Just local with a few little trips is ok.
Lotta plumbing and complexity with a header. All this stuff has been in and/or out in the last couple weeks. removed the floorboards and subbed heel trays. Less 1.8#. Removed the 016 baggage comp and instead added a double layer of 2.7 to the fabric belly under where the floor was. When I flew this thing to OSH in 16 I had 3 walmart sacks on the floor well forward for a planned week long trip. I don't need a baggage comp. Use the fabric belly. Minus 3# of 016. Etc etc etc.
P1030898.JPG

And things are so much simpler and more room. That big header was troublesome no wiggle room. Lots now; entirely different feel. Nice. So got all that crap outa there and spent the last couple days rigging out a temporary fuel system. To put some time on it before the next experiment cause the plan is for it to be a big one. Long down time.
P1030901.JPG

P1030905.JPG

So that's the temp fuel system. The big clear tube is our "header" and we can see what's goin on with it all. Put some gas in the tank and that header is 100% airlocked without the little vent tube with Briggs and Stratton fuel valve being opened. Proved the theory. Tried a couple of the same but valve but about 20 years old and the standpipe started filling with fuel. Uhoh. Those valves must be leaking. Went to Tractor Supply and got a new one and no more probs with that.
So the flow test and runup was ok and took off for a test run and the air was so rough only flew 10 minutes but enough to like the clear "header". Staying close to the strip for a while. If the qty starts going down in the test header it's
1. OPEN HEADER VENT VALVE AND MONITOR STANDPIPE
2. AVOID TURNS TO THE RIGHT
3.LAND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

What would we do without planes?? LOL

Mr Mod somehow I screwed up again and put 3 of the same pics up. Please delete 2. Thx Spencer

Last edited by a moderator:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Done. I was looking at those three trying to figure out what was different between them that you were trying to show us. Read on a bit and found out...

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Done. I was looking at those three trying to figure out what was different between them that you were trying to show us. Read on a bit and found out...
I hit the delete button on both those cause I was rearranging the text but they both showed up in the reply. I dunno.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Rockiedog2,

OK, the footwell looks way more comfortable now. Your new surge tank looks "inconvenient". Wouldn't the previous header, maybe doubled up, do the job for your mission?

Bill

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Pictures of SSSC

Superior Craftsmanship sir!

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Worked thru all the header tanks and ended up deciding to run without one. Wanted the weight forward and the range but didn't work out that way. Plus the mission has changed. No longer interested in coast to coast x-cs. Just local with a few little trips is ok.
Lotta plumbing and complexity with a header. All this stuff has been in and/or out in the last couple weeks. removed the floorboards and subbed heel trays. Less 1.8#. Removed the 016 baggage comp and instead added a double layer of 2.7 to the fabric belly under where the floor was. When I flew this thing to OSH in 16 I had 3 walmart sacks on the floor well forward for a planned week long trip. I don't need a baggage comp. Use the fabric belly. Minus 3# of 016. Etc etc etc.
View attachment 107273

And things are so much simpler and more room. That big header was troublesome no wiggle room. Lots now; entirely different feel. Nice. So got all that crap outa there and spent the last couple days rigging out a temporary fuel system. To put some time on it before the next experiment cause the plan is for it to be a big one. Long down time.
View attachment 107275

View attachment 107278

So that's the temp fuel system. The big clear tube is our "header" and we can see what's goin on with it all. Put some gas in the tank and that header is 100% airlocked without the little vent tube with Briggs and Stratton fuel valve being opened. Proved the theory. Tried a couple of the same but valve but about 20 years old and the standpipe started filling with fuel. Uhoh. Those valves must be leaking. Went to Tractor Supply and got a new one and no more probs with that.
So the flow test and runup was ok and took off for a test run and the air was so rough only flew 10 minutes but enough to like the clear "header". Staying close to the strip for a while. If the qty starts going down in the test header it's
1. OPEN HEADER VENT VALVE AND MONITOR STANDPIPE
2. AVOID TURNS TO THE RIGHT
3.LAND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

What would we do without planes?? LOL

Mr Mod somehow I screwed up again and put 3 of the same pics up. Please delete 2. Thx Spencer

Love the ballast by stick. Do some curls while flying!