• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Speed wing design for a Pacer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cook11

Forum members,

I have been thinking about this a lot recently and I was hoping to get some other peoples perspective and ideas on improving the speed of my amateur built Piper Pacer replica that I own. The plane is a 100% copy of a Pa-20 Pacer fitted with a Lycoming 0-320 160hp which my father built in the late 70's. My second aircraft is a 1978 Cessna 182RG which is a beautiful flying aircraft for cross country flights and it cruises around 155KTAS. My Pacer is up for a recover due to ring worm which is starting to show up even though the fabric and paint being only 10 years old and its hangared too....One of my main aviation addictions is speed and the aircraft designers, pilots and aircraft that have pushed many day dreaming ideas into my head. So my question is this...What wing design could be built or fitted onto a Pacer that would increase its cruise speed to theoretically around the 155-160mph range?

Could you build a metal spar/rib Tailwind wing "NACA 4309 Modified" to fit onto a Pacer? Failing that can metal ribs be fabricated to fit onto the Pacers metal spars?
Could a Bede BD-4 wing "NACA 64-415" be fitted onto a Pacer which has been modified to accept it. Making it strutless.
Would a Cessna 150/172 wing "NACA 2412" on a Pacer make it faster? I have seen Cessna wings fitted onto a Pacer but I have no performance data on it.
Would a Taylorcraft airfoil NACA 2012 be a better option?

Any input on this topic will be appreciated!

Back