• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

speed: 2 vs 2L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWK

Supporting Member
Given my height, I would have to go L, so this question is only out of curiosity, but is a 2 faster than an otherwise similar 2L?

Of the 3 wing locations (low, mid, and high), I've read mid is the most efficient, but I've not read if it matters much. Given the speed of the faster 2L's, I have to believe it's better to tackle other forms of drag on the airframe.

Hypothetically, if the two airplanes (a mid-wing and a low-wing) were otherwise identical, you could expect the mid-wing to be slightly faster than the low-wing due to decreased intersection drag. But, given the variabilities in construction of different airplanes, it would be difficult to detect. If you have an inseam length of more than 28” you won’t fit in a mid-wing Sonerai II, and if you can’t get in, the airplane is useless.

"... it would be difficult to detect."

As I guessed, and you and Monnett should have the most empirical knowledge about this.

"... inseam length of more than 28” you won’t fit in a mid-wing Sonerai II..."

For those with a longer inseam wanting a mid-wing single, switching to a turbulent airfoil in the Sonerai II would let one have the same main spar thickness 5-1/2 inches further forward. There'd be no room for a passenger, of course. The NACA 2412 has about the same pitching moment as the 64A212, and the 1412 would off load the tail a bit, as would Riblett's 30-212.

Last edited:
For the Sonerai uninitiated:
1. There is the single-place Sonerai I (or 1), which is a mid-wing.
2. There is the original Sonerai II (or 2), which is the two-place mid-wing. Then, there is the IIL (or 2L), which is the low-wing version. And then, there is the IILT (or 2LT), which is the low-wing tricycle gear.
3. And there is the stretched Sonerai IILTS (or 2LTS), which has an 18” longer fuselage than the original II. Obviously, the LTS designation means low-wing, tricycle gear, stretched. It can be built as an LS if so desired.

For the Sonerai uninitiated:
1. There is the single-place Sonerai I (or 1), which is a mid-wing.
2. There is the original Sonerai II (or 2), which is the two-place mid-wing. Then, there is the IIL (or 2L), which is the low-wing version. And then, there is the IILT (or 2LT), which is the low-wing tricycle gear.
3. And there is the stretched Sonerai IILTS (or 2LTS), which has an 18” longer fuselage than the original II. Obviously, the LTS designation means low-wing, tricycle gear, stretched. It can be built as an LS if so desired.
It would have been more clear if the thread title said "speed: Sonerai 2 or 2L".

"... inseam length of more than 28” you won’t fit in a mid-wing Sonerai II..."

For those with a longer inseam wanting a mid-wing single, switching to a turbulent airfoil in the Sonerai II would let one have the same main spar thickness 5-1/2 inches further forward. There'd be no room for a passenger, of course. The NACA 2412 has about the same pitching moment as the 64A212, and the 1412 would off load the tail a bit, as would Riblett's 30-212.

Looking at the plans again, I see I need to correct that assertion. The spar in the Sonerai is not at the thickest point of a 64A212 airfoil. For the same spar depth, it looks as if you might move the spar forward maybe 3-3/4" in one of the turbulent airfoils.

Back