• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Specs for a new motorglider design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckie-D

I've been looking for a set of plans for a scratch-built touring motorglider, but I haven't been able to find anything that really checks off all of my boxes. About the closest I've found so far is the Vision: Vision Aircraft, which isn't really a motorglider, although if it had longer wings would be close enough for me. While it might be possible to get the DAR to sign off on it as a motorglider, I think it's probably pretty iffy.

Looking at the available designs, they're either *really* expensive, or take 5,000 hours to build. Most of the designs that I've found seem to be 20+ years old, and don't take advantage of currently available technology.

Things such as the MPCNC:Mostly Printed CNC "MPCNC" BURLY C-23.5mm OD by Allted are versatile CNC machines that can be built quite cheaply, can be fitted with multiple heads (laser, router, knife, hot wire etc.) and can be built large enough to be useful for building an airplane. Such a machine could greatly reduce the time required to build, as well as increasing precision and quality.

So, what is it that I want? Well, a 2 place motorglider with 200kt cruise, large fuel capacity, really roomy cockpit, powered by an automotive conversion, flaps, spoilers, dive brakes, reasonable l/d, a 500 hour construction time, and as low cost as possible commensurate with safety. I don't really care whether it's wood, fiberglass, aluminum or whatever, as long as it meets my criteria.

If I was an aeronautical engineer, I'd design and build one myself, but since I'm not, all I can do is hope that one reads this post and thinks it's a good idea, and moves forward.

Comments and suggestions?

Back