spec list of efficient light planes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

patrickrio

The Aeronca C2 appears to fit the criteria. It's an amazingly efficient machine.
I am having trouble finding specs for the 26HP engine. the specs say 26-30HP sometimes but quote the speeds for the 30HP or the 36HP. Almost none were built with 26hp and most had either 30HP or 36HP.

I found one spec sheet that might be at 26hp that quotes a top level speed of 75mph but the climb rate is very low. I think this is just a little heavy at 406lbs empty 700lbs gross for 26hp.

Last edited:

n3puppy

I am having trouble finding specs for the 26HP engine. the specs say 26-30HP sometimes but quote the speeds for the 30HP or the 36HP. Almost none were built with 26hp and most had either 30HP or 36HP.

I found one spec sheet that might be at 26hp that quotes a top level speed of 75mph but the climb rate is very low. I think this is just a little heavy at 406lbs empty 700lbs gross for 26hp.
Plans for the Le Pelican may still be available. Pretty much a modern version of the 30's Aeronca C2 Did ok with18Hp With target 26hp - should easily break your 63mph.

Engine: Briggs & Stratton, 18 hp at 3600 rpm
Empty weight 210lb, 95kg
Max take-off weight 450lb, 204kg
Payload 240lb, 109 kg
Max level speed 60 mph, 97 kph
Max cruising speed 55 mph, 88 kph
Wing span 37.0ft, 11.28m
Total wing area 140 sq.ft, 13.0 sq.m
Stalling speed 26 mph, 42 kph
Max climb rate at sea level 500 ft/min, 2.5 m/s
Min sink rate 250 ft/min at 30 mph, 1.3 in/s at 48 kph
Best glide ratio with power off 13/1 at 35 mph, 56kph
Take-off distance 150ft, 45m
Range at average cruising speed 104 mile,

Found the C-2 FAA type certificate - Also listed as approved LSA plane
26hp given for engine
Three weights given - 675 as C-2 standard so guessing at least that would be 26hp model

3E673054-160D-4FFD-BBD4-2F5953FB3F8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Flash

Can you be more specific about the problems with the KFM engine?
The KFM supplied with the kit was the 22/24 hp direct drive. It had enough power,and ran well, but everyone I encountered had lost at least one prop in flight. One individual in MN lost 4. There just wasn't a proper way to securely attach the wooden prop. I was held on with just 4 small (AN4 if I remember correctly and AN365 nuts) bolts and nuts. The KFM engines with the belt re-drives didn't have this problem. Of course the re-drive version won't have work on the motor glider Moni. Obviously a vibration issue. A lot of fixes were tried but I'm not sure if anyone ever solved the problem. Mine never failed, but I didn't push it, replaced the hardware after every flight and only made short flights within gliding distance of a runway, and never put that many hours on it.

I've seen a few over the years re-engined with Rotax 503s and a few others. I'm sure they worked out OK, they just didn't fit into that small streamlined cowling. It was a neat little airplane. I guess this what happens when you design an airplane around one specific engine and there is a resulting problem. By the way, reportedly the engines would run just fine in the air without a prop, but it wasn't much use without it (it did keep all the needles moving on the gauges).

I saw an electric conversion at OSH about ten years ago that looked like the perfect solution. But the price for the batteries, motor, etc was over 15K-20K. Maybe it would be less today.

patrickrio

Found it here -
https://www.aeroncamuseum.org
Have to sign up to get access - this TC was free membership. Other stuff like operation instructions require paid membership.

View attachment 109377
so no speed information is available in the specs at this location. Still not enough info to include in my list I think. I have included the pelican which is an ultralight weight aircraft loosely based on the C-2

patrickrio

The KFM supplied with the kit was the 22/24 hp direct drive. It had enough power,and ran well, but everyone I encountered had lost at least one prop in flight. One individual in MN lost 4. There just wasn't a proper way to securely attach the wooden prop. I was held on with just 4 small (AN4 if I remember correctly and AN365 nuts) bolts and nuts. The KFM engines with the belt re-drives didn't have this problem. Of course the re-drive version won't have work on the motor glider Moni. Obviously a vibration issue. A lot of fixes were tried but I'm not sure if anyone ever solved the problem. Mine never failed, but I didn't push it, replaced the hardware after every flight and only made short flights within gliding distance of a runway, and never put that many hours on it.

I've seen a few over the years re-engined with Rotax 503s and a few others. I'm sure they worked out OK, they just didn't fit into that small streamlined cowling. It was a neat little airplane. I guess this what happens when you design an airplane around one specific engine and there is a resulting problem. By the way, reportedly the engines would run just fine in the air without a prop, but it wasn't much use without it (it did keep all the needles moving on the gauges).

I saw an electric conversion at OSH about ten years ago that looked like the perfect solution. But the price for the batteries, motor, etc was over 15K-20K. Maybe it would be less today.
I have been following the Moni Electric that has the zero motorcycle guts in it... the guy did a Earthstar Thundergull with Zero guts previously. If he ever posts specs, I would include that plane in the list also.

patrickrio

I have highlighted in yellow the aircraft that only have zero to two known examples flying as they are mostly at the design and prototype stage really, although some fly/flew nicely.

I have also highlighted in green the ones that have or once had plans available for building from scratch. I think I have this right, but if I am incorrect anywhere, please let me know.

I like these but there seem to be very few efficient ultralights you can build from plans. I would love to find more. Here is the new list:
light planes capture new.JPG

Last edited: