spec list of efficient light planes

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Updated list below. Any more aircraft suggestions?View attachment 109195
Seems a shame there aren't more of the clean little pod-and-boom/motorglider designs of the Janowski or Strojnik ilk here. The Moni is here. The Janowski J5 would qualify (25-30 hp KFM-105, 105 mph cruise, 135 mph max), but they were a kit and AFAIK no longer available. When Topaz gets his motorglider project into the sky, I suppose it will occupy another row on the spreadsheet.

patrickrio

Seems a shame there aren't more of the clean little pod-and-boom/motorglider designs of the Janowski or Strojnik ilk here. The Moni is here. The Janowski J5 would qualify (25-30 hp KFM-105, 105 mph cruise, 135 mph max), but they were a kit and AFAIK no longer available. When Topaz gets his motorglider project into the sky, I suppose it will occupy another row on the spreadsheet.
As long as there is some info on them, I will put them on if they qualify. They still have different ideas in the design that might be mined for future projects even if you can't buy them.

I have added Janowski J5 Marco

Strojnik s-4 "laminar magic" added too, but available specifications are few

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
As long as there is some info on them, I will put them on if they qualify. They still have different ideas in the design that might be mined for future projects even if you can't buy them.
The Wikipedia entry for the Janowski J-5 gives a good overview of the specs. They list the engine as the KFM 107ER, which I believe produced 22.5 HP continuous, 25HP for takeoff and climb.

The max speed (135 mph) is missing from the Wikipedia page, and comes from this old Angelfire site:Janowski J-5 Marco

Edited to add: This site from the Polish Aviation Museum indicates the J-5s max speed is 99kts (114 mph). That is a more credible source and sounds more likely to me. The 135 mph figure from the Angelfire site could be Never Exceed speed.

Last edited:

henryk

When Topaz gets his motorglider project into the sky, I suppose it will occupy another row on the spreadsheet.
+ Bogdans E-motor/glider =<20 kW, < 100 kg + 10 kg GRS ...

Vmin>30 km/h (KASPERwing !) , V cruise =circa 150 km/h

Attachments

patrickrio

There are also the Jodel D9 Bébé and the Druine D.31 Turbulent.
I included the Jodel D92 4cyl specs in the list. I suspect the Jodel D9 2cyl also qualifies, but I can't find any specs for it.

The Druine D.31 has 30hp or higher. I suspect the Druine D.30 26hp will qualify, but I can't find any specs for it.

patrickrio

+ Bogdans E-motor/glider =<20 kW, < 100 kg + 10 kg GRS ...
Bogdans plane will likely qualify when complete based on what I already see. However, the specs you list here are too vague to put on my list yet. I suspect he has done more engineering on this and has better projected specs already? If I get better specs I will put it on my list like the other started but not completed aircraft....

Bogdan _________ aircraft
empty weight_____
Horsepower______
Gross Wt_______
Wingspan______
Wing Area______
Stall speed____
Cruise speed_____
Max Level speed____
VNE_____
Min sink rate_____
speed at min sink______
L/D_____
max Glide ratio____
speed at max glide ratio___
climb rate_____
range______
length_____
gph____
mph______

patrickrio

Vmin>30 km/h (KASPERwing !) , V cruise =circa 150 km/h
Henryk, you know I love Kasperwings. They have a special place in my heart too. I suspect that a cantilever Kasperwing constructed to about 130sq ft attached to a fully faired/enclosed pilot pod that weighs around 200 pounds empty would qualify for this list no problem.

But alas, I don't have specifications for such a thing. everything I can find uses too much HP or flies too slow. Do you know someone who has built a Kasperwing that qualifies? If so, get them to share the specifications!!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This is a modified legal ultralight. Friend of mine says the modified engine produces about 25 hp. Will cruise 60+. Kevin also makes his own props.

henryk

Bogdans plane will likely qualify when complete based on what I already see. However, the specs you list here are too vague to put on my list yet. I suspect he has done more engineering on this and has better projected specs already? If I get better specs I will put it on my list like the other started but not completed aircraft....

Bogdan _________ aircraft
empty weight_____
Horsepower______
Gross Wt_______
Wingspan______
Wing Area______
Stall speed____
Cruise speed_____
Max Level speed____
VNE_____
Min sink rate_____
speed at min sink______
L/D_____
max Glide ratio____
speed at max glide ratio___
climb rate_____
range______
length_____
gph____
mph______
=(second prototype...) after testing in flight...

=first prototype=steel/alu frame + composites fairing +KASPWERwing (PARABEAM) +classical tail...NOT beauty=disclassified,
may be 2-place trainer....

=third prototype (for nonclassic pilots)= tailless +K-W in FREEWING composition (SWIFT -like).

Attachments

Last edited:

patrickrio

This is a modified legal ultralight. Friend of mine says the modified engine produces about 25 hp. Will cruise 60+. Kevin also makes his own props.

MiniMax needs to take design cues from that guy.

He took an "it's cute in an ugly way" plane and now I want it to curl up in my lap so I can pet it.

compared to this Original MiniMax it looks like he modified the turtledeck, canopy, front, and wings. I would call it Kevin's Mod MiniMax in my list, but it is so modified, I guess I can't even take length, wingspan and wing area from the original specs, let alone stall, cruise and max speed. Any way you can get specs on it?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Saved every ounce he could and made an EW of 253lbs . Cliped the wings by removing a rib( one wing panel) from each wing outer panel. Used a Hummel Bird canopy. Only instruments is the airspeed and altimeter and a 1" dia oil pressure gauge on the engine that he can see. Streamlined the wing struts with foam and tape.
With a 1/2VW on the same airframe it cruised at 70 mph. It was an hour flight from his field to my place and I told him for coming he got a free fuel fillup. ( Big Spender) , With the 1/2VW it always took 1.7 gal to top it off.

Last edited:

EzyBuildWing

Peter Scripol's electric-Ultralight has lightest wings ever....20 lbs per side!
( Build them in a couple of days easy! )
His aircraft utilizes an electric paramotor engine....direct-drive.
Watch here: