spec list of efficient light planes

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

patrickrio

I am creating an excel spreadsheet of the specs for efficient light planes that are interesting to me. Essentially a list of airplanes that fly with less than 26 horsepower. If you have suggestions for additions please let me know.

Here is a pic of the current form:
light planes capture.JPG

patrickrio

lots of planes missing still... but I purposely am not including ultralights that have more than 26 horsepower.... actually most interested in the ones that can cruise at part 103 max allowed speed on low horsepower. And also still have sufficient climb rate.

But efficient, low powered planes both ultralight and ones that are faster but operate on less than 26hp. It is mostly to get a list of a large variety of design ideas.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lazier (2x9hp), original Quicksilver (15hp), paramotors.

patrickrio

It looks like neither the lazair nor the quicksilver can fly at the 63mph/55knot max or more on 26hp or less.... I did include the lazair in my list though because some versions of it are very light weight at as low as 185lbs empty and the wing is interesting.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Given the criteria in the OP, I think the Quickie is a top candidate. From Wikipedia:
‡***********************
General characteristics

Crew: one pilot
Capacity: 20 lb (9.1 kg) luggage and 240 lb (108 kg) useful load
Length: 17 ft 4 in (5.28 m)
Wingspan: 16 ft 8 in (5.08 m)
Height: 4 ft 5 in (1.35 m)
Wing area: 53.8 sq ft (5.00 m2)
Empty weight: 245 lb (111 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 485 lb (220 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Onan opposed four-stroke piston engine, 18 hp (13 kW) at 3,600 rpm
Performance

Maximum speed: 126 mph (203 km/h, 109 kn)
Cruise speed: 115 mph (185 km/h, 100 kn)
Stall speed: 47 mph (76 km/h, 41 kn)
Range: 570 mi (920 km, 500 nmi)
Rate of climb: 420 ft/min (2.1 m/s)
It has some peculiarities, but if speed on minimal power is the figure of merit, then it is hard to beat without getting very esoteric.

The SD-1 should probably also make the list. However, climb performance on 26 hp can be marginal unless total weight and DA are low.

Last edited:

patrickrio

For spacek SD-1, I have included the Briggs and Stratton powered tail dragger version at 269lbs empty as this is the only version below 26hp.
For CriCri i have included the original MC-10 version as this is the version below 26hp
For Quickie I have included the Onan powered original, but I think there have been improvements since then that would improve specs on low power. If anyone has links to specs for a newer iteration flying on low power, please let me know.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I am creating an excel spreadsheet of the specs for efficient light planes
I’m not clear as to your definition of “efficient”, but I never have seen any data that would suggest that the Whing Ding is efficient by any criteria.

BJC

patrickrio

KASPERWING (23 HP, 75 kg)
I have specs for the 20hp Zenoah powered Kasperwing, which are anemic. Henryk, do you have specs for one with higher power? I will include the 20hp info even if you don't have other specs, because the Kasperwing is interesting and quite light, (but it is slow)....

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The heading had "efficient light planes" in it, but I do not see any definition of efficiency nor am I seeing columns for statistics of efficiency, like gph, mpg, $/lb, etc.

patrickrio

The heading had "efficient light planes" in it, but I do not see any definition of efficiency nor am I seeing columns for statistics of efficiency, like gph, mpg, $/lb, etc.
I will put columns in for gph and mpg and include where available in specification information. Many planes here don't have this info though, and so my rough definition of "efficient enough to list" is that it flies 63 mph or more on less than 26hp. Also, a few other small but interesting airplanes are included anyway because I think they are interesting.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I will put columns in for gph and mpg and include where available in specification information. Many planes here don't have this info though, and so my rough definition of "efficient enough to list" is that it flies 63 mph or more on less than 26hp. Also, a few other small but interesting airplanes are included anyway because I think they are interesting.
I can make the title reflect whatever it is that you want the list to be...

henryk

I have specs for the 20hp Zenoah powered Kasperwing, which are anemic. Henryk, do you have specs for one with higher power? I will include the 20hp info even if you don't have other specs, because the Kasperwing is interesting and quite light, (but it is slow)....
=auer KASPERWING with G-25 + CR Differential gear (80 kG thrust !)
seems really faster and have better climbe ...

iff NO wires,max speed will be much bettter...

Attachments

patrickrio

Updated list below. I Think I should remove the slow "interesting" planes highlighted in orange for future versions... They can show here for future use...
light planes capture.JPG