Spark Plug Lead Rebuild Plug End

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

My “doesn’t care” came from the tech rep verbally. He was answering that any resistance is ok because it’s not broken. Of course tempest gives a different answer. I treat champion like the tempest. Yes I have had bad champion but rare. I will go through my pile of spares if I find one way out, to match out a used set. Depends on need. A friend’s shop gave up on them. His volume was way more than mine. He didn’t change every plug that came through the door, but if there was ignition problems , the tempest went in.

JimCrawford

I've just started running my VW engine fitted with dual Leburg electronic ignition units. After a bit of a faff sorting the fuel priming it now starts on first compression and runs smoothly. My initial fit, running now, uses plain plugs and resistive cable but when I made up the cable I became a little concerned about the durability of the cable which uses a graphite loaded fibreglass core conductor.
Anybody have any opinion on this issue? Or should I simply play safe and replace with resistive plugs and copper cored cable?

Jim

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you take apart an aircraft spark plug shielded lead, you'll find that in many of them the core wire is a stainless, tightly-coiled spring, and I think that's to concentrate the magnetic field within the core so less of the signal escapes.
Coiling the wire makes it a better inductor, which helps damp the fast transients while still showing very low resistance to DC.
when I made up the cable I became a little concerned about the durability of the cable which uses a graphite loaded fibreglass core conductor.
Anybody have any opinion on this issue? Or should I simply play safe and replace with resistive plugs and copper cored cable?
Auto plug leads last a long time.

proppastie

Automotive leads are resistor leads to suppress noise.
Why does adding resistance reduce noise...and I thought low resistance was what we were looking for when we test plugs (less than 5000 ohm?)