Spam on Signon

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
Getting a full page pict. of biplane spam ad apparently from HBA asking me to subscribe after I log on.....really do not want to see this every time.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
After the 5th time I've told it I don't want to subscribe, it gets really annoying.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It should only display once and go away forever if you say no, at least it did for me. But you'll see it once on each device you use to access HBA.

proppastie

Log Member
I've not seen this but it doesn't sound like a very friendly way to greet new people seeing our site for the first time?
it is after I log on which makes no sense because I already am subscribed........my server I think has a dynamic IP (constantly changing) I expect if the software is not changed I will be seeing this lots......and yes it is annoying.....that picture takes lots of bandwidth and slows down loading.

BJC

HBA Supporter
It should only display once and go away forever if you say no, at least it did for me. But you'll see it once on each device you use to access HBA.
Every time I log on, I get a full page pop up inviting me to subscribe to a daily email summary of HBA. Win 10.

BJC

Aerowerx

Every time I log on, I get a full page pop up inviting me to subscribe to a daily email summary of HBA. Win 10.

BJC
I've been seeing it too. Windows 7 still. And I think it shows up after clearing cookies and search history.

[Edit] It just popped up JUST AFTER I logged out!
[Another Edit] But not every time.

pwood66889

Roger what BJC and Aerowerx said: Pops up just after sign on. Can't even log in. Annoying, and not good "First Impression." Did 2 "Phone Trees" already today, so was not in the best of form... :-(
Percy in NW FL, USA

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
After the 5th time I've told it I don't want to subscribe, it gets really annoying.
You have hit the "no thanks" button under that main center box? 5 times? You should not see it again for 30 days.

Also, that will not be shown to those that are subscribed or those that are logged in. The software for it is being changed today so only guests will see it.
The time to get logged in will be extended a little bit so you can log in before you see it.

Aerowerx

You have hit the "no thanks" button under that main center box? 5 times? You should not see it again for 30 days.

Also, that will not be shown to those that are subscribed or those that are logged in. The software for it is being changed today so only guests will see it.
The time to get logged in will be extended a little bit so you can log in before you see it.
Does HBA depend on cookies?

I routinely clear out everything except passwords every few days

Aerowerx

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and the problem has got worse!

It is happening immediately every time I log out, even when I have not cleared cookies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
It is set only for visitors/guests. If you are logged in you will not see it.

Do you need a few more seconds to log in so you won't see it? Or can you stay logged in on your device?

proppastie

Log Member
can you stay logged in on your device?
For some reason I can not stay logged on, probably my browser, but since you added more time to the pop up I have not had a problem....I do not need more time

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
If you are logged out, the system is not getting the information that says you are a member.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Ok, but there are times when I get logged out automatically. ...
HBA does not periodically log members out, unless there has been a major upgrade to the software, a major site-wide outage, or similar extreme event.

Purging cookies will cause you to be "logged out" when you return. To constantly "stay logged in", check the little box that says so just under the login fields the next time you log in. This sets a cookie on your machine that identifies you to HBA when you return, and the system returns to where you left off, logged in.

If you purge all cookies from your machine (some people do this on a regular or semi-regular basis), the system won't see that cookie and you will return to the site as "logged out." If you use a program, add-in, or extension to block or manage cookies, be sure to whitelist the HBA cookie, and you shouldn't have any further problems.