Spade lugs, Molex, TE Circular and MIL connectors

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

bwilson4web

Hi,

N19WT came with spade-lugs which I hate. The problem is I need to finish up the wing wiring:

It came with the wing wiring loosely in heat shrink that had never been shrunk and spade lugs. No color code and some random masking tape labels.

What I'm planning is locking, polarized connector for the wires with a socket for the fuselage side. But when I check various aviation standards, certainly for transport aviation, they pretty much talk about MIL standard connectors.

The MIL style connectors are very expensive and bulky. The Molex Saber connectors are affordable and come in kits. They may be the approach I use from the circuit breaker field to instrument panel. The TE style circular connectors are also reasonable, keyed, and positive locking. However, they are bulkier than the Molex.

So I was wondering:
  • Anyone use Molex connectors in their plane (aka., Saber kit?)
  • Anyone use the TE style connectors (circular plastic from Allied?
Thanks,
Bob Wilson

djschwartz

....What I'm planning is locking, polarized connector for the wires with a socket for the fuselage side. But when I check various aviation standards, certainly for transport aviation, they pretty much talk about MIL standard connectors.

The MIL style connectors are very expensive and bulky. The Molex Saber connectors are affordable and come in kits. They may be the approach I use from the circuit breaker field to instrument panel. The TE style circular connectors are also reasonable, keyed, and positive locking. However, they are bulkier than the Molex.

So I was wondering:
  • Anyone use Molex connectors in their plane (aka., Saber kit?)
  • Anyone use the TE style connectors (circular plastic from Allied?
Thanks,
Bob Wilson
I use the AMP (Tyco) circular connectors available from DigiKey and others. They are available with either plastic or metal shells. I use the plastic everywhere on the airframe except the firewall and engine compartment.

http://www.digikey.com/Web Export/Supplier Content/Tyco_8004/PDF/Tyco_CircularConnectors.pdf?redirected=1

fadec

The Tyco/Amp black plastic circular multipole connnectors are increasingly popular these days. Diamond for example make extensive use of them including the wing to fuselage joint. Use with the gold plated pins/sockets. There are cheap (non ratcheting type) crimping tool available that work fine and a pin extraction tool is also worth having.

Some of the things inside the wing, for example Whelen strobes, often use Molex or Amp rectangular multipole connectors

Termination/connector terminology can be confusing.By convention wires on the live side of the circuit (fuselage) are terminated with sockets and wires on the load side of the circuit (wing) are terminated with pins. Plugs and recepticles (the bodies of the connector) can be loaded with either sockets or pins depending on the design

Last edited:

Tom Nalevanko

The best connector is no connector. I would just do the run with an extra loop of wire to cut in the future, should you need a connector.

I know; never postpone to tomorrow.... But the benefits are great -- higher reliability; especially for the lazy.

Blue skies,

Tom

djschwartz

The best connector is no connector. I would just do the run with an extra loop of wire to cut in the future, should you need a connector.

I know; never postpone to tomorrow.... But the benefits are great -- higher reliability; especially for the lazy.

Blue skies,

Tom
I disagree completely. A properly made up connector is no measurable loss in reliability. And the headaches of dealing with cutting wires and splicing them back together can be a real nuisance unless the connections are trivially simple, i.e. only two wires going out to a nav light or such). Almost everyone I know who's built or restored an aircraft has had to put it together and take it apart numerous times during the project. How many times do you want to cut and splice wire? Loops of excess wire bring their own problems. They can get pinched during assembly and if not properly restrained can get frayed from vibration over time.

Dave

Tom Nalevanko

I never talked about splicing wires... Put a small loop there in case you need to cut and add a connector later. You will be surprised how many times you never do...