Quantcast

Spaceship 2 amphibian

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Riggerrob

How long is it?

What is the total wing span?
... span of elevator?
... span of fixed horizontal stabilizer?
... width of main landing gear?
... width of hull?

Why am I picturing this bird resting in the back corner of a marina? .
.. pushed to the launching ramp?
... spreading its wings?
... flying off into the sunset?

davidb

Hi Davidb,
From the only water landing test so far:
Touch down was smooth and predictable. Manoeuvrability on the plane was also good.
In displacement mode, Spaceship 2 sits ridiculously high on the water, much like a floating caravan!
The only water take-off attempt was aborted when it became obvious that it was not capable to accelerate to a safe take-off speed. He did get it in the air but only momentarily and way too slow to climb out. Also, it was taking water in (splashed up from the main gear through the side sliding windows) At that point it was disassembled and brought back home on a trailer.
Pabs
Thanks for the reply. Let’s get a 915 on this baby and see how she does! The water coming in should be an easy fix.

Old Koreelah

... Steve Cohen is my "hangar neighbour" at Wedderburn/Napper field in NSW Australia, so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. (Steve is not too much into emails)
Thanks for keeping us up to date in this fascinating project, Pabs!
I haven’t been able to raise Steve for years; I suspected he was too busy in the workshop to answer the phone.

Steve has helped me over the years with my own designs and is well-respected as a pioneer in our sport.

Pabs

Thanks for keeping us up to date in this fascinating project, Pabs!
I haven’t been able to raise Steve for years; I suspected he was too busy in the workshop to answer the phone.

Steve has helped me over the years with my own designs and is well-respected as a pioneer in our sport.
How long is it?

What is the total wing span?
... span of elevator?
... span of fixed horizontal stabilizer?
... width of main landing gear?
... width of hull?

Why am I picturing this bird resting in the back corner of a marina? .
.. pushed to the launching ramp?
... spreading its wings?
... flying off into the sunset?
So many questions!
I'll get the measure tape next time I'm out
🙂

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
A Facetmobile and Wilson Global Explorer had a baby! It's hard not to love this thing.

If it were mine I'd put a Yamaha Apex inside the fuselage with a belt up to the prop. I used to own a Lake Amphibian and always wondered about getting rid of the engine pod.

1608066578148.png
Daddy.

Protech Racing

The Space ship might fly better witha 80-100 ft canard. This would reduce the bad thrustline to drag vector and may fly off of water with less power. The canard lifts the nose as the power pushes it down.
Looks like plenty of room to move some stuff foreward to move the CG.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I do like the relatively simple flat-panel composite construction of this Spaceship 2 amphibian. Has Steve Cohen done anything like this in a simpler, landplane design? My own digging showed him to be a very significant hang glider designer also responsible for the Thruster microlight, but I haven’t found anything else along th lines of Spaceship one. Here’s a link focusing on Cohen as a pioneering surfer that also explores his aviation side in the latter half of the article.

Pabs

I do like the relatively simple flat-panel composite construction of this Spaceship 2 amphibian. Has Steve Cohen done anything like this in a simpler, landplane design? My own digging showed him to be a very significant hang glider designer also responsible for the Thruster microlight, but I haven’t found anything else along th lines of Spaceship one. Here’s a link focusing on Cohen as a pioneering surfer that also explores his aviation side in the latter half of the article.

Hi again. Yes, Steve also designed and manufactured many single and two seat Skydarts over the years. They are very good performing light aircraft and every owner I've spoken to loves them. In fact, the wing centre section on Spaceship 2 is borrowed from the latest cantilevered Skydart 2S design20200415_082454.jpg

Attachments

Pabs

Sorry, not sure how that photo got there, didn't mean to attach that..
However, since I can't figure out how to delete it, enjoy Steve Cohen's back side there on the left, with a bonus Super Petrel in the middle! CHEERS!
🙂