Quantcast

Spaceship 2 amphibian

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

narfi

Log Member
Is there any more information out there on this project?
What are his goals in the design?
That is huge internal space, hard to tell from the video though final internal configuration..... Its as big as a small camper in there which is the theme of an entire thread I have been personaly interested in on this site here.
Great shoulder room, great internal space, etc..... I would love any more info available, it has got my romantic mind spinning again :)

sigrana

I wonder it flies in ground effect like the Boeing Pelican was supposed to ?
The supposed-to-be Boeing Pelican crappy and expensive project WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO FLY IN GE, because of the distance of the wing from the surface is far longer that its M.A.C. (mean aerodynamic chord). Neither will the Spaceship 2, which is a really nice flying boat. The main factor which control GE is NOT the span dominated GE, (as still erroneously taught in aerodynamic schools) but the M.A.C. dominated GE. Longer M.A.C. means longer GE distance from the surface. That is why the only stable GE craft are the ones using a reverse delta configuration with a long M.A.C.
I have actively worked in the GE field for 42 years, with proven flying results and I can guarantee what I am stating.

Speedboat100

The supposed-to-be Boeing Pelican crappy and expensive project WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO FLY IN GE, because of the distance of the wing from the surface is far longer that its M.A.C. (mean aerodynamic chord). Neither will the Spaceship 2, which is a really nice flying boat. The main factor which control GE is NOT the span dominated GE, (as still erroneously taught in aerodynamic schools) but the M.A.C. dominated GE. Longer M.A.C. means longer GE distance from the surface. That is why the only stable GE craft are the ones using a reverse delta configuration with a long M.A.C.
I have actively worked in the GE field for 42 years, with proven flying results and I can guarantee what I am stating.
I believe you...thank you.

Could the GE feature ever be implemeted into a real aircraft ?

sigrana

Most reverse delta GE craft (A. Lippisch, Hanno Fisher, my own designs and realisations, which are stall proof etc.) can fly quite well at altitude without any stability problems, just adding a little engine power.
Speed is a different matter: to achieve higher flying speeds it will be a question not only of power but also of wing configuration. The wing will remain a reverse delta, but the sweep of the leading edge will create a very noticeable difference. Sweeping back the leading edge, up to 30 degrees, will naturally help to achieve extra speed, as it happens in swept back wings and it will also increase the M.A.C.'s length, which will be beneficial in GE. A leading edge without sweep is a good medium and a swept forward leading edge (see Hanno Fischer's latest configuration) is the best for GE flight, but not for speed. I am attaching a document of mine with the effect of leading edge sweep.Airflow comparison with different L.E..jpg
The forward sweep of the trailing edge is better kept to 90 degrees or a little less.
Next, the wing's aspect ratio needs to come into play, followed by drag improvements consisting in movable parts etc.. Ultimately, wings capable of in-fligth geometric changes will be the answer.

Speedboat100

Most reverse delta GE craft (A. Lippisch, Hanno Fisher, my own designs and realisations, which are stall proof etc.) can fly quite well at altitude without any stability problems, just adding a little engine power.
Speed is a different matter: to achieve higher flying speeds it will be a question not only of power but also of wing configuration. The wing will remain a reverse delta, but the sweep of the leading edge will create a very noticeable difference. Sweeping back the leading edge, up to 30 degrees, will naturally help to achieve extra speed, as it happens in swept back wings and it will also increase the M.A.C.'s length, which will be beneficial in GE. A leading edge without sweep is a good medium and a swept forward leading edge (see Hanno Fischer's latest configuration) is the best for GE flight, but not for speed. I am attaching a document of mine with the effect of leading edge sweep.View attachment 97646
The forward sweep of the trailing edge is better kept to 90 degrees or a little less.
Next, the wing's aspect ratio needs to come into play, followed by drag improvements consisting in movable parts etc.. Ultimately, wings capable of in-fligth geometric changes will be the answer.
Wonderful stuff...thank you again.

Are the wing tips pointed down ? If so how much ?

sigrana

It is far better to have tip sponsons, which act as vertical down-barriers, while using wing tips pointed up between 40 and 45 degrees. They become tip ailerons and are very effective. They can also be slightly swept back to increase speed and manoeuvrability. Normally, a half of their area is movable. I am adding the address of an old video of my 118th GE model, the Bolide Nemo:

Speedboat100

I actually firmly believe this would have been very futuristic system if put into action. It is not a pure WIG nor Ekranoplane.

Pabs

So lets start with the videos:

and

"Spaceship 2 was designed and built from scratch in under two years by legendary Australian Aircraft Designer Steve Cohen. The aircraft is built entirely out of composite materials. It is powered by a Rotax 912, 100HP engine and it cruises at 85Kts @ 75% power. It is registered with Recreational Aviation Australia as an amateur built aircraft."

And.. this is all I've got. I"d love to know more about the plane. The designer. Is he around here? Does he have a website?

What I can tell, is it's homebuilt, it's composite, it's a flying boat. It looks like it's got room to sleep two, and it's performance seems... good.

I've not been able to find a thing more. Do any of you know more?

... I love the concept here.
Hi fellows, just found this forum. Steve Cohen is my "hangar neighbour" at Wedderburn/Napper field in NSW Australia, so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. (Steve is not too much into emails)
Also, Steve has discovered that the aircraft is a bit underpowered for water operations. He's saving money to get a Rotax 915 which would provide sufficient horsepower and stay within the weight limitations for the category it's registered under, but as a pensioner that might take him a long time, maybe more than he has! His friend Doug Stickland as started a GoFundMe campaign, any help at all would be much appreciated. The link is https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-steve-cohen-complete-his-flying-boat
Cheers,
Pabs

Pabs

Is there any more information out there on this project?
What are his goals in the design?
That is huge internal space, hard to tell from the video though final internal configuration..... Its as big as a small camper in there which is the theme of an entire thread I have been personaly interested in on this site here.
Great shoulder room, great internal space, etc..... I would love any more info available, it has got my romantic mind spinning again :)
Hi Narfi,
Well, you hit the nail on the head! This is an entirely romantic project!
Steve's dream is to fly Spaceship 2 around Australia, hopefully with a nice adventurous lady partner on board.
Aft of the seat bulkheads, there is a head and shower on the starboard side and a galley on the port side. Further aft there are two full size bunk beds on the sides.
The roof of the cabin pops up to allow full head room when stationary on the ground or water. I'll try to post some more pictures when I get a chance.
Pabs.

Pabs

Well, this old washed up glider pilot can see about 5-7 knots of forfeited cruise speed just by watching the first video.

A "legendary" designer who took the time to build a nice smooth composite wing certainly ought to understand the value of aileron gap seals.
Thanks VB, your point has been taken. Steve is working on gap seals now!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how I missed this, even though I merged the threads months ago... that's really cool! Kinda like the love child of a Wittman Tailwind. a 1940s teardrop camper,and Dean Wilson's Global Explorer. Love to see some pictures of the interior...

From the videos it looks like pitch stability might be an issue? And I wonder about the roll stability and stall behavior with those swept anhedral tips.

davidb

I don’t see any water landings or takeoffs in the videos. I would like to know how it handles on the water. Does it just need more power or are there other issues with water ops?

Pabs

I don't know how I missed this, even though I merged the threads months ago... that's really cool! Kinda like the love child of a Wittman Tailwind. a 1940s teardrop camper,and Dean Wilson's Global Explorer. Love to see some pictures of the interior...

From the videos it looks like pitch stability might be an issue? And I wonder about the roll stability and stall behavior with those swept anhedral tips.

Hi Dana,
From flight testing so far, pitch stability / stall is not an issue. There is some roll instability which makes it tiring to fly for long periods.
Steve is the only one who has flown it yet, I have only chased it with my ultralight.
Steve is looking at ways to make it more stable in roll, including the use of a flight stabilizer setup borrowed from model aircraft...
He's a true mad genius!
:)
Pabs

Pabs

I don’t see any water landings or takeoffs in the videos. I would like to know how it handles on the water. Does it just need more power or are there other issues with water ops?
Hi Davidb,
From the only water landing test so far:
Touch down was smooth and predictable. Manoeuvrability on the plane was also good.
In displacement mode, Spaceship 2 sits ridiculously high on the water, much like a floating caravan!
The only water take-off attempt was aborted when it became obvious that it was not capable to accelerate to a safe take-off speed. He did get it in the air but only momentarily and way too slow to climb out. Also, it was taking water in (splashed up from the main gear through the side sliding windows) At that point it was disassembled and brought back home on a trailer.
Pabs