Space Question for Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2 builders?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
The longer I hang around here the better this plane sounds.
But well I’m a big guy. And the guys I fly with a big guys too.
i’ve seen a couple of suggestions for getting some room easily.
Now I know easy is a relative term but one gray says it with a few pieces of tube grafted into the middle it’s simple to widen it a few inches.
But from my study here on the forum that kind of seems unlikely.
The other suggestion that I’ve seen has been bubble doors, Some called them fish spotter doors.
that seems more likely to be feasible to me.
But one thing you guys have convinced me of is any change is a big change.
Keeping in mind that I’m going to either buy finished playing or a mostly finished kit.
For you that Have actually done it what would be the most realistic way to gain a little extra space?
One of these or something else ?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Start with the PA-22 fuselage instead of the PA-14 fuselage. I have flown in a (factory) PA-14 with someone else in it, and I assure you it is incredibly un-comfortable.

Reactions: BJC

Pilot-34

The advantage of the sportsman is that it is an experimental, at least that is what most here I have drilled into me for the last couple of years.
sadly although I have flown in both of them it was back when I weighed 150 pounds soaking wet and really didn’t notice the difference. How much difference are we talking about ? one of the post and I really recall reading stated the wag aero sportsman was about 40 inches wide at the hip.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The PA-14 I flew in was noticeably narrower than the Taylorcraft, and the Taylorcraft is even a little narrower than a 150.

Look at the width of the REAR set of the PA-12 "Family Cruiser" and understand that width was carried straight forward to create the PA-14... a170 pound 1950's FAA standard husband, in direct contact with his 95 pound fashion model wife, and two small 1950's postcard well-behaved kids in the back. Complete with those big old white advertising smiles with no division lines between the teeth.

Dillpickle

Is there any experimental that are based on that PA 22 fuselage ?
so....the Piper tube and rag family has been copied and "improved" in a million ways. As always, it's best if we know your mission--and budget! Lol. But always, mission first. I sit tall, and push twofitty. I've flow in a stock early cub shoehorned with the 240 lb 6'4" owner. Let me tell you, we flogged each of those 65 ponies getting off the ground! But we flew. So if you're... And you want to take....with some specifics, we can get you to an appropriate airframe. Have you looked at Bob Barrows airplanes? They "out cub" a Cub in almost every peramiter, from the no flap two seat lsa, the experimental Patrol, and the giant Bearhawk four seat. They can be bought with a large bit of pre assembly done or built from plans . And big guys were the norm when Bob designed them.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Is there any experimental that are based on that PA 22 fuselage ?
YES, "Bushmaster", "Javelin", "Producer", "V6STOL", and numerous one-off's. Since the fabric Piper parts are almost all interchangeable, you can start with a junk PA-22 Tri-Pacer fuselage and build up a legitimate, roomy, completely bad-ass 4 place Super Cub with 200HP, using certified, PMA, and experimental-only parts that are off the shelf..

blane.c

HBA Supporter
YES, "Bushmaster", "Javelin", "Producer", "V6STOL", and numerous one-off's. Since the fabric Piper parts are almost all interchangeable, you can start with a junk PA-22 Tri-Pacer fuselage and build up a legitimate, roomy, completely bad-ass 4 place Super Cub with 200HP, using certified, PMA, and experimental-only parts that are off the shelf..
Horizontal tail (the stock one) is insufficient size on PA-22 after "Bush mods" you'll need to make it bigger to get the performance you are paying for.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
You'd be surprised on some ... quasi-legal out in the villages horizontal tails. You put a lot a oomph on the front you need something in the back or the tail falls early.

Pilot-34

I have to agree with you.
Build a Bearhawk, by the time you are through dicking around it'll be less expensive and better quality.
My thought is not to build one ,I know myself and I doubt if I would ever finish it in the years I have left. ideally there is one hanging around a barn or hanger somewhere just waiting on me to finish.
I could see myself building a new set of doors for it or some thing in that area of simple.
Part of the reason for this thread is I didn’t think widening a fuselage would be a matter of just a few pieces of tube and a little time.

Pilot-34

I’d certainly Be interested in a barn find of one of those.
and I bet even one of those would be better with the bubble fish spotter doors.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
The plastic bulged out on the fish spotter doors looks cool and gives some additional room but the main support piece is still in the same place so you get less room than you would otherwise think.