• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Space-Efficient Airplanes that Don’t Fold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

Seems a running trend on here is to keep costs down by trying to cram an airplane inside a sea can, or a trailer, or that you can take on the bus, or just fold up and keep in your back pocket for when you’re bored. I kind of question whether that’s a false economy given how hangar space can be shared. My fun flying home base has mostly T-hangars, plus some full rectangular hangars and of course the end units on each row of T’s are sort of half-and-half. All of these hangars were sized with a Piper Seminole in mind as that was the largest airplane a normal person was reasonably expected to ever want to fly out of this place.

To date, in a single T hangar I have seen three autogyros with enough space left over for a classroom and a pile of storage for general stuff (a trailer an a few motorcycles, I think). I also recognize that with some sort of lift two airplanes could be fit into a single T-hangar though no one at this field has done it… yet.

In the end hangars I have seen:
-a Cessna 150 and a Davis DA-5
-a Citabria and a Baby Ace
-a Champ and a VP-1
-a Cessna 140 and a Tiger Moth
-a Stinson 108 and a Baby Ace
-somehow a Taylor Titch, a Pitts S-1, and a Tri Pacer
-an E-2 Cub, a Jodel D-9 and two other wingless projects, with a Flying Flea hanging from the ceiling

In the rectangular hangars I currently know of the following parking arrangements:
-a Tiger Moth and a J-2 Cub
-a Cherokee and a Pietenpol
-a Wagabond, an RV-7a, and an Acro II
-a Baby Ace, an Isaacs Fury, and a Sindlinger Hurricane

There are probably others but my point is that space can be made and a single airplane hangar doesn’t have to hold a single airplane. If you and your friends liked Sonerais with folding wings you could probably put six or eight in a rectangular hangar with room to spare.

In any case, what space efficient hangarage have you folks seen?

Back