Space-Efficient Airplanes that Don’t Fold

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

Seems a running trend on here is to keep costs down by trying to cram an airplane inside a sea can, or a trailer, or that you can take on the bus, or just fold up and keep in your back pocket for when you’re bored. I kind of question whether that’s a false economy given how hangar space can be shared. My fun flying home base has mostly T-hangars, plus some full rectangular hangars and of course the end units on each row of T’s are sort of half-and-half. All of these hangars were sized with a Piper Seminole in mind as that was the largest airplane a normal person was reasonably expected to ever want to fly out of this place.

To date, in a single T hangar I have seen three autogyros with enough space left over for a classroom and a pile of storage for general stuff (a trailer an a few motorcycles, I think). I also recognize that with some sort of lift two airplanes could be fit into a single T-hangar though no one at this field has done it… yet.

In the end hangars I have seen:
-a Cessna 150 and a Davis DA-5
-a Citabria and a Baby Ace
-a Champ and a VP-1
-a Cessna 140 and a Tiger Moth
-a Stinson 108 and a Baby Ace
-somehow a Taylor Titch, a Pitts S-1, and a Tri Pacer
-an E-2 Cub, a Jodel D-9 and two other wingless projects, with a Flying Flea hanging from the ceiling

In the rectangular hangars I currently know of the following parking arrangements:
-a Tiger Moth and a J-2 Cub
-a Cherokee and a Pietenpol
-a Wagabond, an RV-7a, and an Acro II
-a Baby Ace, an Isaacs Fury, and a Sindlinger Hurricane

There are probably others but my point is that space can be made and a single airplane hangar doesn’t have to hold a single airplane. If you and your friends liked Sonerais with folding wings you could probably put six or eight in a rectangular hangar with room to spare.

In any case, what space efficient hangarage have you folks seen?

gtae07

I've seen two "short wing" RVs and a moped sharing a T hangar, with a bit of room to spare for toolboxes, a small workbench, and a dorm fridge.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
A friend of mine kept a Cub and a Bonanza in a single T-hangar for awhile. My Fisher would have fit in the back part of a T-hangar with room for a C-150 in front of it. I've seen pictures of three Pitts Specials in a single T-hangar.

Tiger Tim

US T-hangars must be bigger than the ones I’m familiar with. That’s wild what can be packed into them.

Wanttaja

hangar share 2.jpg
Wickham Bluebird and Thorp T-18. Currently, the Bluebird shares the same hangar with a Wickham Model D and a (disassembled) Wheeler Express.
hangar share fly baby long-EZ 2 Lowres.jpg
Pete Bowers' original Fly Baby sharing an open hangar with a Long-EZ. Did this for about six years, in the '80s and '90s. Took a little work, to fit the planes around the support pillars. The owner of this (trophy-winning) Long-EZ didn't want the Fly Baby club members handling his airplane, so the Fly Baby could be taken out and putting back without touching the EZ.

The tailwheel on the Fly Baby wasn't the swivel type, so I made a kind of "Billiard Triangle" with casters. Pick up the tail, drop the tailwheel in a slot on the triangle, and move it around as needed.

My current Fly Baby is in a larger closed hangar. I don't share the hangar with anyone else, but it has a pickup truck, wings from a Warwick Bantam, two work benches, shelving loaded with aircraft parts, various bits of leftover furniture, and a pickup truck stashed with it.

Ron Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Ron, have you flown a Bantam?
No, this was a "barn" find. Buddy bought a new house, it had airplane parts in the basement. Wings, cowling, instrument panel (no gauges), wheels, etc. Did a bit of digging to find where they came from...even found the exact airplane. Also had two brand-new Bendix mags, which I lent to a fellow chapter member who thought he had ignition problems. He suffered a stroke, and my mags were sold with the airplane....

See "The Homebuilt Detective" in the April 2007 issue of EAA Sport Aviation.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
My former Swift partner once put four airworthy Swifts in a 50X48 'chicken house' hangar (the tapered truss support posts take up a bit of floor space), with a fully assembled Stinson 108 in a back corner. Wish I'd taken a pic...

A neighbor kept a Curtis Robin & a Travel Air biplane in another 50x48 for several years.

smokyray

My property is adjacent to a private grass runway which I have access to via my driveway, and the entry road. I kept my RV6 in my 3 car garage for 5 years (along with 2 cars). I "spun" it in and out after taking a few measurements. Definitely a conversation starter when you open the garage doors or taxied up the road!
V/R
Smokey

Attachments

• EB90423D-9118-44DC-AC97-8CFE9073E194.jpeg
    EB90423D-9118-44DC-AC97-8CFE9073E194.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 20

fastdancin

An Apache, a Fairchild 24W and an Ultra Pup (unfolded) all fit neatly in my dreams, and are very low maintenance (but, sorry, no pictures).

Twodeaddogs

Supporting Member
I have seen several aircraft stored, engine off, standing as near to vertical , at the back of hangars. Cubs come to mind. Also, have seen quite a few hung from the ceiling. I've also seen a modified car lift used to lift an aircraft up and a second one pushed in underneath. There's also a five bay rotary carousel in a hangar in the UK.