SPA vs Spyder corvair conversions?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Russell_W

I have noticed in these two configurations some differences that include (starter location, split 5th bearing, engine direction?) just to name a few differences, but I am wondering if any working comparisons have been made to show the advantages and disadvantages to each design. I would love to hear your opinions and experiences. Thank You.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Welcome Russell. I would suggest you do a search on the site or just go into the forum section under Corvair. There is a ton of info to read through that may help. Bill Clapp is very familiar with this engine

wally

Hello,
I just had 3 days with Bill Klapp at his Corvair class. It was very good! We ran the engine on the test stand the first morning. After lunch we took it apart and had is spread across the bench including splitting the case. The second day all 7 of us began putting it back together, well after coffee and dougnuts! Nothing too complicated. This engine has his front bearing (SB Chevy main) design. It was mostly back together at the end of the second day. The third day we finished assembly and put it back on the run stand and it ran fine.
Pictures and video on his facebook azeliaaviationllc

I also picked up a friends short block, heads and dist. he plans to use on a Kitfox.

Built by Azelea Aviation the Corvair engine is not cheap but you get a good solid engine and is good alternate to a Continental or Lycoming.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Haven’t seen a post from Bill recently.

Bill, hope to see you and Kyoung at Lakeland.

BJC