• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sourcing drag wire materials.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tench745

Hello all, I've asked around numerous places trying to find a satisfactory answer to my question with limited success. I'm building a Corben Jr Ace and trying to find the stock to make the internal drag/antidrag wires for the wing. The plans call for 1050 grade steel rod in 9/64" diameter. This will get #6-40 threads cut into the ends. I can only assume that the 9/64" diameter (~.140") is to give enough thickness to fully cut the #6 threads (~.138"). Some others have suggested using 1/8" cable and turnbuckles instead of the hard wire but they're not my first choice. Turnbuckles alone would cost upwards $360 at current prices. I could buy a lot of solid wire for that.
So, my question boils down to this, in order of preference:
Does anyone know where to get 9/64" 1050 wire?
OR
Is there a comparable material I can substitute?
OR
Can I buy the wires I need pre-threaded from someone/somewhere for a reasonable price?

Thanks for whatever information you can give.

Back