Sourcing a Flange Bearing

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by GESchwarz, Jun 7, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

Can anybody here steer me to a supplier of flange bearings?

I'm trying to find a pair of flange bearings to attach my trim adjustable stabilizer to the aft fuselage. This stabilizer also supports a pair of vertical surfaces at its tips, so the bearings must be stout, capable of taking radial and thrust loading.

Thanks.

2. Jun 7, 2009 #2

handprop

handprop

handprop

sleeved or ball bearing?

Mike

3. Jun 7, 2009 #3

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

4. Jun 7, 2009 #4

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

Sleeved or ball? I don't really know. All I know is the application...It will be supporting my horizontal and vertical tail feathers and must have no play. It will only be moving the few degrees required for pitch trim.

What kind of bearing is used in the Pipers that have trimmable stabilizers. Some models the entire tail section is mounted on a bearing assembly. I'd sure like to get a look inside at those birds.

5. Jun 7, 2009 #5

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

If you only need a few degrees of movement, stay away from ball bearings. They do best when moving continuously to even out wear. You'll be better off with a solid bearing.

My tailplane lends itself to using two heavy duty rod ends as the pivot hinges. I have the same concern with zero slop and this will be a first class solution. They will also gives me a little permanent adjustment at that end in addition to the trimmed end.

6. Jun 7, 2009 #6

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Rod ends will work for something like that.

Rolling element bearings are used in all sorts of small rotation applications, like in universal joints, but they do have to move a little to keep them from getting messed up. For something like a pitch adjustable tail, they should be OK if you make sure that the loads are well below the rated static load of the bearing. By the the time you do that, the rod ends might end up being a better choice...

A prudent builder would check them both out. Oh, and do not tell the vendors anything about airplanes, at least until you have the parts paid for and in your hands...

Billski

7. Jun 7, 2009 #7

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

The rod end could work. I originally steered away from that idea because I didn't like the idea of the rod end holding all that load in a horizontal cantilevered fashion, but I could mount the rod ends vertically just as easily.

8. Jun 8, 2009 #8

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Yes, I intend to do the same; have the rod end vertical so it mostly sees loads in the direction it was meant to. A typical 5/16" rod end will take about 2000 lbs of radial load, and my ultimate tail load is only 1000. I feel safe enough with that, using two of those.

I often see rod ends used as control hinges, cantilevered out from a spar; I never did like that idea and I believe it has been the cause of some crashes. It can be done if you do something to relieve the bending on it, but still...